Confused! Who should do drawings for single storey extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't seem to find any clear guidelines to tell me what type of drawings I need to accompany planning application for a single storey extension.
I have read and spoken to folks who recommend all sorts of options: Draftsman, Architect, Structural Engineer and even DIY.

The extension is to be:
- Single storey (4m high by 4m out - I know I would bypass planning if I reeled it in to 3m)
- Pitched roof with 3 velux windows
- Perhaps just 1 steel for bi-fold doors
- I would need an existing internal archway bricking up (the archway is a bad DIY job to a supporting wall and doesn't have a steel/lintle)

From how I see it, a structural engineer and architect would be over qualified for this.

Therefore, I have 2 questions really:
1) Would a builder need detailed plans to actually carry out the work?
2) What would be my most cost effective way of having the drawings done to get through planning as smoothly as possible?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
For planning purposes, you will require...

- Location plan
- Site/block plans
- Existing plans
- Existing elevations
- Proposed plans
- Proposed elevations

Depending on where the property is located (e.g. Conservation area), you may require a Design and Access Statement. Also dependant on the location of your property, you may be asked to provide a Flood Risk Assessment. Your local authority should be able to provide you with this information as well information on drawing sizes, scales, etc...

Once the planning has been dealt with, you will need to submit a building regulation application, which can be done via a building notice or full plans application. If you're going down the BN route, you can just submit the planning drawings to the BC department providing the BCO is happy. If you're going down the FP route, you will need to provide...

- Existing plans (as above)
- Existing Elevations (as above)
- Proposed plans (as above plus more detailed notes)
- Proposed elevations (as above)
- Proposed section(s) (Maybe one/two sections)

An architect/technician who is competent with the planning and building regulations would suffice in submitting the planning and building regulation applications. A structural engineer may be required if structural alterations/input is required (e.g. foundations, lintels, beams, removal of load-bearing walls).

I can't seem to find any clear guidelines to tell me what type of drawings I need to accompany planning application for a single storey extension.
I have read and spoken to folks who recommend all sorts of options: Draftsman, Architect, Structural Engineer and even DIY.

The extension is to be:
- Single storey (4m high by 4m out - I know I would bypass planning if I reeled it in to 3m)
- Pitched roof with 3 velux windows
- Perhaps just 1 steel for bi-fold doors
- I would need an existing internal archway bricking up (the archway is a bad DIY job to a supporting wall and doesn't have a steel/lintle)

From how I see it, a structural engineer and architect would be over qualified for this.

Therefore, I have 2 questions really:
1) Would a builder need detailed plans to actually carry out the work?
2) What would be my most cost effective way of having the drawings done to get through planning as smoothly as possible?

Thanks in advance.

I would approach an Architectural Technician to do the drawings as a hobble, for what you're asking you would be charged around £300-£500, dont be afraid of asking someone to do it as a hobble as most people I know moonlight (Wages arent what they used to be in Architecture)

Sponsored Links
I would try a local chartered surveyor. Check that they do design and drawings - not all do. The surveyor will advise early on if there are any obvious issues with foundation design but bear in mind that it is a bit of an unknown until you know the exact ground conditions.

To give you a rough idea of costs. The drawings you need for planning are fairly basic but still need to be reasonably accurate. Average charge for a simple single storey extension including drawings, site plans and block plan and the application documents is about £350.

When you have planning the drawings will need to be adapted for building regulations. There are two procedures; full plans and building notice.

The full plans procedure means detailed plans which are submitted and approved before you start work. This takes a bit or work and would cost about another £300. The main advantage is that the plans are approved up front so as long as you then follow those plans you will get the work complete and signed off with no problem. The other advantage is that you have a detailed specification for the builder to price against and follow. The disadvantage is cost and time waiting to get the plans approved - usually 5 weeks..

The building notice route means you submit more basic drawings. The planning drawings plus a bit more basic info is good enough. The main advantage is time - you can start work almost immediately - and the cost is more reasonable at about £150. The disadvantage is that you rely heavily on the builder to negotiate the works with building control as works proceed. Most good builders don't have a problem with this but it's also where some builders fall apart. You get to the end of the job and suddenly find they haven't been getting things inspected and it all starts to go pear shaped. If you follow this route you must make sure the builder is reliable.

You might also need some structural calcs and depending on design you might need a SAP calculation.

London rates might be a tad more.

I have just had a similar extension built and initially had similar questions about the different approach to producing drawings and plans. I concluded that a draftsperson or architect would always produce the minimum requirements to satisfy planning/building control however some individuals provided a lot more detail that others. I decided to go with a local independent architect based on a personal recommendation but ultimately I chose him based on the level of details that he provided on his drawings, for example he [or his software] specified the level of insulation required for the room based on the size and number of the Velux windows and Bi-Fold doors etc, the drawings even listed the exact Kingspan or equivalent product. From the outset my strategy was to get as much nailed down in the plans as possible before hawking my plans round various builders to get like for like quotes. In my case I also needed structural engineering calculations since my extension has no trusses etc and just has a 6.3m steel beam running the length of the room, my architect sorted all that out, using a structural engineer that he often works with. I'm no expert as to when a structural engineer is required but as a rule it seems to include when any bespoke [i.e. not off the shelf] steel work is required. My architect charged me £1000 and while I'm sure this will very in different parts of the country it included all drawings, site block plan, OS plan, local planning fees and managing the plans through the planning cycle, I think the structural engineering calculations etc were about £120 of this fee. I feel that the detailed plans probably paid for themselves somewhere along the line. One last bit of advice, my local council [Barnsley] has a planning and building control section of their website with a link to a weekly planning list, it's worth looking at other peoples plans, the detail on the drawings varies a lot and and this is a good way of tracking down an architect since the plans invariably cary the details of the person that has produced them.

Wowww... use formatting (i.e. paragraphs) :p

There are benefits in using a local architect/engineer to produce the necessary information, probably more an architect than an engineer because details/calculations very rarely differ and site visits are not "essential".

On the drawings I produce, I would specify one way of achieving the u-values and if the client/builder propose an alternative, providing it achieves the u-values, then that's fine. I wouldn't list all the different ways in achieving the u-values as it's just not practical... as there are so many different insulants/techniques.

Planning/building regulation fee's are pretty much the same across the country so that's easy enough to work out and include in an overall fee. However, I'm assuming the building regulation "inspection" fee's were on top of his quotation, which you paid yourself because architects very rarely would pay that fee.

The majority of LA's have a planning (Public Access) system where you can view planning history for sites. However, I am yet to come across a LA that registers building regulation applications online. I don't "think" that'll ever happen because specifications, details, etc... can just be extracted and used on other jobs for other architects, etc... I may be wrong though. Anybody can put together "pretty" drawings and can also add so much detail to the planning drawings but to get an idea on the actual person, how they are to work/deal with can only be based on word of mouth/recommendations and direct contact.

Yeh I thought I had found BR drawings, etc... but I could only view the application details on one LA's website.

Yes they are as planning applications are public information. Some LA's differ as to the system they use to access such information (e.g. Public Access).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back