Holes appearing in old chimney breast brickwork.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
Desperately looking for some help for a problem that no-one seems to recognise.
I had my 110 year old chimney breast opened -just to the original size to fit a unit and had the bricks left uncovered. The old bricks were used with a few extra old stocks where needed, I decided to leave for a while before sealing the bricks.

The rogue builder abandoned me and I and the flat were left for many months over winter without Kitchen,bathroom, gas, WC water etc or any heat in the freezing weather.
Recently with much of the building now done I have suddenly noticed little black holes and fissures appearing in the old bricks, more than the mortar, and a smell of soot in the room and a little efflerescence on the bricks. :(
There were no problems in the previous 110 years with the bricks or plaster.
the only thing I can think of is that with the large area of K&B having been re re-rendered and no heat over aweful weather to dry it out damp has collected and suddenly damage is apparent.
No one knows what the problem is except for the experienced chimney sweep who says that it could be silver fish damage. My opening is vented as is the un-used flu of my neighbour downstairs and sharing the chimney breast .
The outer wall faces SW and gets lots of drying heat in fine weather.
I have never seen any insects but will look tonight.
PLease has anyone seen this and can suggest a solution?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
doesn't sound complicated.

Do you have camera in your mobile? If so upload some pictures. A pic speaks a thousand words.

hear from you soon.

hi Sohail,
Thanks for your interest,
Sorry for not replying sooner. Have taken some piccies of brick and other hole damage. Have made an album, hope you can help with this mystery.
I am new to this and not sure how you acess the photos.
Freyja
:confused:

hi Sohail,
Thanks for your interest,
Sorry for not replying sooner. Have taken some piccies of brick and other hole damage. Have made an album, hope you can help with this mystery.
I am new to this and not sure how you acess the photos.
Freyja
:confused:

Don't worry about not being able to put the pics on the message. Just let the forum members know they are in your album.

or in future do this...

having written your message, click on the below link "Show my images"
then click on the album where you saved the photos and they will appear on the screen.
next just click on the photo you want in the message...as you click they will appear in word form on the message.

after spell check, just press preview below and submit once you are happy with the format.

As far as the issue with house is concerned, bare with us; there will be members like myself, looking at the pics as you read this message, who will working out the reason behind the problem.

hold on F. :)

Once you decide to get the work done, if any, Remember to get the builder to give you a detailed written quote, including the reason behing the cause. The paper can be easily used to compare with other quotes. It won't be long before you become builder savvy!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info re pics.
I am a great grandmother- pensioner - and did my first job 64 years ago , Helping father with French polishing.
Since then , although long retired except for advice, have spent life in building/home trades. Commissioned and snagged several important homes in central London and Home Counties. Also managed a stately home and palace in the Middle East, everything from surveying, design, decorating, problem solving to caring for and restoring antiques.
Lots of gaps in my knowledge and a regard for good builders, sadly in short supply.

Do much of my own DIY(slowly now) conveyancing and legal work . Builder left me without funds so cannot pay for expensive and possibly useless 'experts'.

Rogue builder had good reputation and I had a cast iron contract, everything by the book. I kept records from the begining of a large job and my case is going to court. Better to hold back until the full implications ,damp and other damage surfaces - E.G the Chimney Breast bricks - appear.
I am intrigued as well as slightly worried and surprised that all my vast research so far has gleaned little , only the chimney sweep came up with a possible solution of silver fish damage.
Can call back surveyor (for my case) but only when i have more info of my own as he seems even more perplexed than I am? :rolleyes:

Hoping that there is someone out there who has seen this before and can set me on the right road to a solution.
PLease see my Chimney Breast etc album
Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back