Powercraft tools.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:evil: Having invested a lot of money at Aldi in Powercraft tools I want to warn the world about the rete of failure. Last night while cutting a small metal plate the Powercraft angle grinder burst into flames. I was wearing gloves and after removing the socket walked it out of the garage on fire. It is the PAG-125/1020. I have removed the casing now and found the armature was the item on fire. Its just a mass of melted wiring.
Last week while using the STD drill WK14005 The triggar failed. It was quite dramatic. The drill started to spit sparks and then roared of at full speed. The only way of stopping it was to as someone to remove the plug while holding the drill while it was showering me in sparks.
Again last night I was using the air impact wrench. The socket was a 17mm. Now its the only one I can use as its welded to the shaft and is impossible to remove. One year ago I asked Power Craft to replace a rechargable drill that was quite cheap to buy but would not charge. It took 6 months to get an answer. Then I was told that Power Craft was not trading and the appointed agents would deal with my problem. I sent all the paperwork after ringing to confirm the details. It came back ofter 4 months with a note from the G.P.O. stating the company was not at that location. Thinking I had made a mistake I checked. The given details where correct. But I am still waiting for my refund.
BUY POWER CRAFT TOOLS AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have quite a few tools that I have bought from Aldi and Lidl.

I admit that some are not as refined as a Dewalt but they are capable of doing the job and they do the job well also you have the three year warranty, as long as you do not abuse the tool.

In this world you get what you pay for and with these tools you are paying for the warranty, the tool is really a free bonus.

Everyone can talk about tools that have failed but many tool, when you remember exactly what you have done with them, have probably served you well in the past.

Aldi and Lidl tools are good for the enthusiastic DIYer, not so much for the professional.

I cannot complain about mine.

Sponsored Links
I compared Aldi and Lidl tools against a Dewalt because they are supposedly very good tools.

I do own one Dewalt tool, a Jig Saw.

I bought that because there are some tools where build quality is essential for them to perform correctly, a Jig Saw is one of them.

I cannot comment on how long it will run for as I have only tested it working but from what I saw it appears to work extremely well.

I bought a Powercraft generator from Aldi on Monday.

After a starting problem I got it running OK but I contacted the Powercraft to query my problems.

For anyone else out there that has bought one:-

There is no fuel on/off tap, they are now automatic.

The choke stickers are on backwards, so On is off and Off is on

As I have said before for the price and 'peace of mind warranty' it is a good tool.

LOL .... either the OP is the unluckiest power tool user in the world, or he works for Lidl or Netto and wants to dis his competitor

If you see this guy in your queue at the airport .... get the next plane!

there is no way i would spend top money on Dewalt tools when they are made by black & decker. the reason shops sell them is the huge mark up price and the smart display stand.

DeWalt used to make fantastic tools about 10 years ago.

Now they are more concerned about price rather than quality.

With the exception of their self levelling laser and there cordless finishing nailer I can't remember the last time I saw a dewalt tool on a construction site.

I had a carpenter doing work for me last year.

Nearly all his tools had been won in carpentry competitions and the majority were Dewalt.

Looking at how the tools functioned I could see how much more superior they were than my Lidl, Aldi and Focus home branded tools were.

I mean simple things like with my chop saw, I have to unscrew the table with a big knob on the front to be able to rotate it.
The Dewalt had a lift up lever. It was more secure and less likely to wear and he could swap angled in a fraction of the time it would take me.

I have had cheap jig saws but found that even with good quality blades they have not got the guide system to keep the cut true, I bought a Dewalt and the cut is never wrong.

Use daily - buy quality.

Use once then store for a year - buy cheap tat.

I often speak to the guys at the local hire shop and ask them about build quality as these fellas are very hands-on with all components.

Most of the expensive tools have metal gears etc and have serviceable/replaceable parts.

One poster mentioned abusing tools. If that is akin to using a tool vigorously and for hours on end on a daily basis, then i guess that is what pro' do.

Hilti are king. Bosch offer the best value.

I do not brag as a rule...lol

Metal gears.... you are right what you say, it is not the name or cost but the build that counts but it does not always equate that dearer = better.

Some cheap tools skimp on the non essential bits but the bits that count are made well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back