Tiling using gulfstone quartz on bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

am planning on laying 5m of 30x30cm Gulfstone Quartz tiles on our bathroom floor ( the blingy sparkly ones). upon reading the box it says the tiles should only be layed using a latex based adhesive? i am tiling directly onto a bitumen type over concrete floor? could anyone just clarify for me the correct adhesive to use?

Thanks in advance

:D

Sponsored Links
there are plenty of adhesives you can use, such a mapei kerraquick, you should also seal your tiles with something like a lithofin impregnator, sometimes i have noticed on quite a few quartz jobs that the backs of the tiles need cleaning as there is considerable dust,which will not help adhesion

So would this Mapei product be latex based then?.............. until i read the box i was just going to use a flexible addy by unibond would this be suitable? and seriously do my tiles need sealing they are a very glossy finish as it is?

thanks for the reply by the way

A tile adhesive that is suitable for low porosity tiles will be ideal here. I don't understand what they mean by latex based? Perhaps they are suggesting an elastomeric...... Which is overkill if you ask me. The important thing to do is go to a decent supplier with a tile in your hand and they can advise you. Bal single part flexible or rapidset would work.

Sponsored Links
when they say a ..latex based addy..

what this means is you would add..

mapei "latex plus" to the kerraquick instead of water.

but imo i have never done this with gulfstone,always mixed with water,but i do hear certain addy mfr wont back up the tile fixer if there is a failure with fixing.
and do give the back of them a clean as jc has said,also when fixing open all boxes and take tiles from differant boxes when fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back