who is responsible? chimney repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am hoping someone can give me some advice.
I have terraced property, 3 years ago i was having work done on my stack and the builedr pointed out that next doors chimney which is above the party walls looked unsafe and needed repointing as it is in poor condition also it is leaning my way and if it falls would come through my roof.

Now three yrs on my downstairs lounge wall is soaking and the plaster is blowing , i guess water is entering via the poor flashing or failing stack brickwork...this is a party wall so there is nowhere else the water can be coming from.
I have approached the neighbour who rents out the property (and who i also know personnally) he states that the chimney looks fine to him (unbelievable! as there is no pointing left!) and not in need of repair and in his opinion the problem may be caused by the flashing on his stack, but he says this is down to me as the flashing he is refering to meets my roof.

I find this very hard to believe, but as i have no knowledge i am stuffed!!! what can i do ...and are his chimney stack repairs my responsibility as it shares part of my roof?

Incidentally the stack is purely for my neighbours fire as i have my own chimney on the opposite side of the roof next to my other neighbour, so we do not share this chimney or stack. it just happens to encroach on my roof.

I am trying to keep this friendly but suspect he has no intention of spending out on any repairs and he claims his tenant says her lounge wall and chimney breast in his house are dry and have no issues.

I am also concerned as should the chimney stack fall as it is leaning my way it could land in the kids bedroom.

Any advice would be appreciated as i am unable to continue to have my wet wall repaired until the problem is fixed,, this is expensive enough as i have to have all the plaster removed etc due to his negligence in not acting sooner.

Sponsored Links
was this a shared stack for any fires since removed from your half off the wall!!

Hi
No this stack is only for the neighbours use, his fireplace is the other side of my lounge wall (the wet one!) and my fireplace backs on to the neighbour the other side. So it is not shared at all...although it does come onto part of my roof...its a row of old terraced cottages
Thanks

I agree with big-all and suggest you look again, terrace houses were "normally" built in symetrical pairs with back to back chimneys to save bricks.

Are you sure the fire in your room has not been moved at some time.

What does the gable wall in the loft under the offending chimney look like?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back