Plug-in spur advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading this section of the forums for some time, and find it very interesting and informative. Now i've found it's time to register, and ask for some advice myself. So here goes...

My home office only has a single switched socket outlet (on the house's ring circuit) and has my desk electrics plugged into it as shown below...

currentdeskelec.gif

Dispite there being 6 outlets (at the top of diagram), only the UPS is plugged in here. All my equipment is plugged into the 4-way and 8-way extension leads (bottom right of diagram).

The total load, measured at the black plug using a Maplin L61AQ Plug-in Energy Meter, when everthing is switched on (which is possible during normal working) is averaging at 2.3 to 2.4 amps. I cannot measure the exact peak value, but i've never seen it hit 3 amps.

My current plan is to replace the extension leads with proper surface mounted socket outlets.

Questions...

1) Would it be best to wire these with 13A flex or 2.5mm T&E ?

2) Would a 5 amp fuse be best for the main feed plug?

3) The spotlight is made of metal, but only has a 2-core flex. Should this be replaced with 3-core to provide an earth?

4) If i want to replace the switch that is connected to the UPS output, for one with more gangs, would this be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
A more professional way would be to extend the ring or add an additional circuit (whether ring or radial).

Sponsored Links
holmslaw said:
3. Check for a class 2 symbol (a square within a square) if you find one you're ok. If you don't then the light must be earthed via a 3 core flex.

It does have the double square icon.

holmslaw said:
4. Yes, but don't overload the ups.

I'm not going to be adding more load, I just want to split the load up onto some switched sub-circuits to provide better control.

The UPS monitoring software shows an output load of 65%.

A more professional way would be to extend the ring or add an additional circuit (whether ring or radial).

An additional circuit would be indeed be nice, but is out of the question due no spare slots in the CU. Running the cable from the CU would be very difficult too.

How would you suggest extending the ring? The only access i have to it is the single switched outlet. Would a switched FCU be the answer?

Or at least replace the plugtop and socket with an FCU.

That sounds resonable.

So...

The two halfs of the ring would go into the supply side of the FCU.

If i got one with an cable outlet hole at the bottom of the front panel, should I use 2.5 T&E or 13A flex for the load side?

Would i need a switched FCU? In the rare occasion i need to isolate the whole load, I could just remove the fuse? To isolate the FCU itself I would switch the ring off at the CU.

Get a switched one. You do not want to try and remove the fuse under (any significant) load.

i'd be tempted to use a keyswith FCU, stops it being turned off accidentally.

presumably you isolate things frequently, so the want of multiple switches.

not sure about your UPS, does each circuit have its own protection, or merely there for convenience?

mine has 3 independent circuits, which I then switch via the software, although most stays on permanantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back