Wall hung toilet and plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently most of the way through installing a wall hung toilet in our new bathroom. The frame I'm using is one of these http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/ceramica-wall-hung-toilet-2179-17927 and while I'm impressed with the build quality the instructions leave a little to be desired - clearly translated from Double Dutch into Korean before being shipped to the user :D

This is how far I've got (I fitted the waste pipe today)
IMAG0009.jpg

What the instructions don't mention at all is what the frame can be covered with. They just show board with tiles on and state it must be less than 30mm thick.

Obviously the pan pushes on the frame with quite some force when someone stis on the toilet. Would plasterboard be enough? I was thinking 12mm ply. I suspect the toilet will push against the two uprights either side of the soil pipe but it's very hard to tell without mounting the toilet.

Also, the wall behind the toilet will be tiled. Do I need to put anything between the pan and the tiles to distribute the load? I'm concerned that if there is any slight imperfection in the pan or the tiles when someone sits on the toilet it will crack a tile.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
i would defo ply it at least around wc, geberit are worth the extra wonga fit and forget

gerbrit gear is the bees knees ,one the best kits around.if you feel safer then ply it out itc ant do any harm

Sponsored Links
That`s very polite - I thought you would say it`s the Dog`s *******s :idea:

I installed 2 of these last year, not without problems.
ply is the best option but I would also say make sure you fix the frame back to the brickwork and not the timber frame, to prevent it from flexing.

No worries. The wooden frame around the metal toilet frame is simply there to attach the ply / plasterboard to and to give me somewhere to build a small cupboard above the toilet. The metal frame is very securely attached to the external wall of the house with expanding bolts and to the floor with studs. The wall would come down before that frame moved.

Ply & tiles every time.

I agree, ensure the frame is well secured to the back wall.

By the way you are making a good job of it for a DaftyDIY'er!!!............ ;)

The bottle is Titebond Original Woodglue. The cross members of the frame are half lapped and then glued and screwed - in other words they aren't going anywhere either.

Thanks for the compliments BTW.

Wobbly it would also be wise to bung up the soil pipe with an old newspaper to stop sewer gas etc. This of course should be removed before fitting your WC.

'Tis ok thanks, the kit comes with a bung that protects the waste while tiling but it doubles brilliantly as a general waste odour stopper - it's currently fitted.

That's good Wobbly, keep up the good work.

Wall hung WCs look great with the floor tiles under etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back