Electrics in schools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are there any specific rules to follow??

From what i remember regarding ring mains, the earths in the back of the sockets should be kept seperate, could somebody clarify? And is there anything else i need to be sure of

Currently there is a store cupboard which is going to be a new IT room with 8 computers + extras and i've been asked to quote for the work by my company.

Anybody done any work like this before?? Im thinking of a ring main from main power DB, 32A RCBO type C, 2.5mm T&E, all ran in the dado trunking stuff. Any major issues there?

cheers

Sponsored Links
are there any specific rules to follow??
BS 7671:2008.

From what i remember regarding ring mains,
"Ring mains"?

the earths in the back of the sockets should be kept seperate, could somebody clarify?
Why do you think that?

And is there anything else i need to be sure of
What you're doing....
Whether you are competent....

Currently there is a store cupboard which is going to be a new IT room with 8 computers + extras and i've been asked to quote for the work by my company.
Are they not aware of your lack of expertise?

Anybody done any work like this before?? Im thinking of a ring main from main power DB which is next door, 32A RCBO type C, 2.5mm T&E, all ran in the dado trunking stuff. Any major issues there?
Less than a year ago you were asking questions like these:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198137

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198350

whilst studying these topics 1 day a week:
  • Business Management Techniques
  • Engineering Science
  • Analytical methods (i.e. Mathematics)
  • Project
  • Electrical & Electronic Principles
  • Engineering Design
  • Telecommunication Principles
  • Electronics
  • Digital & Analogue Devices and Circuits
  • Combinational & Sequential Logic
and now you're qualified to design and quote for electrical installations in schools?

I think not.

In the main the circuits should comply with BS7671:2008 unless the school have specified differently.
You may need to take high integrity earthing (reg set 543.7) into account when designing computer room suites where there are high protective conductor currents in normal use which is what I think you are getting at. Some examples of high integrity earthing can be seen in the on site guide on page 67 and 68.

Sponsored Links
Plus many schools will only allow contractors registered with NICEIC (approved contractor) or ECA work on their sites.

Is your public liability insurace cover high enough incase you kill a child or burn a school down? Theyre going to be pretty big claims.

scary.gif

Dave2010, your insurance will not cover you when your incorrect design solutions start frying kids and the public tend to get upset about that sort of thing (I have no idea why :rolleyes: )

Do not get involved in specifying this project - you do not know enough, nor do you have sufficient experience. I say again, your insurance will not cover you for acts of incompetence.

I am proposing to build a rocket to fly several people thousands of miles.
Anyone help me to design it please?

oh give it a rest guys.. we all have to learn and you learn by asking..

it was 10 months ago.. he could have learnt a lot by now..

The guy is right to ask. There are some odd rules it seems with schools and collages in the main hinged around the requirements to use a key or tool to access.

Where electrical panels were in class rooms even in university where one would hope students would when doing a degree in electrical engineering would have enough skill to realise one does not re-set breaker unless one knows why it tripped and the fault has been removed.

So in schools and collages all panels must have locks on them.

Also on a personal thought I would use only all pole RCD's and would not use any single pole switching RCD's.

As to earths the use of wrist straps does mean socket earths and all other metallic items need to be bonded together in any class room where electronics are taught. If one looks on the internet many councils do publish details of extra precautions to be taken.

Also it is common to limit the number of computers on any ring. In the Uni I attended no more than 8 PC's were connected to a ring main however they were happy with double that where MAC's were used.

UPS of course are another problem where you need to ensure if the supply is cut there is still an earthing arrangement or the output of each UPS is limited to power one device.

I would also use semi-conductor fuses with UPS unless one is sure it has internal protection.

One would of course assume strict compliance with BS7671:2008 but there are extras to consider with schools and collages.

hey

i fail to see why all of you with the exception of Coljack and ericmark have to be complete ******s about this??

You have no idea what i know, have done in the past or what my capabilites are.
Your telling me that ALL of you have worked in EVERY enviroment and are experts in this type of work and qualified to pass judgement when chances are you know **** all about the situation either!!

Im after some advice about a situation i have never worked in before? Obviously i know about 7671 and T&I and these I am fine with. I've never been in a job where i have had to design and now i am so how come thats difficult for you to understand??

For you idiots that reflect on what i wrote 10months ago or whatever it was so what??? what does that prove?? that 10 month ago i was learning? Do you not remember when you were learning and asked question, did anybody give you **** for it??

anyways thanks and if anybody can help then please do

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back