Open vented system not refilling after drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I turned off the water and drained the system from a drain cock just above the boiler on the ground floor. This allowed me to remove a radiator on an inverted pipe loop. I then capped off the 2 pipes.

Problem I have now I've turned the water back on neither the primary or heating circuit is refilling. No water is being taken from the expansion tank and if I open any bleed valves I don't seem to be losing any air.

I suspect I haven't done something but I haven't a clue what that is!

I couldn't find any posts relevant but if someone can point me to one or come up with any answers themselves it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
more likely your cold feed is blocked to the system with crud.
useally blocks on the t where it joins the system pipework.

you can useally locate the block with a magnet it will stick where the block is.

Sponsored Links
I think more likely blocked with black iron oxide

probably where seco says

see also FAQ 26. but a chemical will not work once a pipe is fully blocked, because it cannot circulate to the blockage

Can't find any obviously magnetic place on the pipework so I think I'll give the back filling a go. Thanks for all your ideas.

Back filling is only a temp fix.Find where the 15mm pipe from the bottom of the tank in the loft and follow it to where it connects to your system.The blockage is in that area and neeeds to be removed.A blocked cold feed will lead to other problems with your system if not remedied.The only way is to cut out and clear theblockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back