thermostatic radiator removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, Ive taken off a thermostatic radiator. No problem until I noticed the pressure on my combi had dropped to zero. When I tried to re pressurise the system water started leaking out of the pipes left where the radiator was. We had put brass caps on the pipes left as a precaution as we thought that thermostatic radiators had a close off valve. So why is it leaking? I have now emptied the whole system so am hoping nothing will leak now!

Sponsored Links
Thermo static valves often won't stand a high pressure across them. Normally it's almost the same both sides.
Caps put on with ptfe don't leak.

don't quite make sense.
but have you left the valves on the pipes and capped the end of the valve ?
or removed the complete valve and capped the pipe ?

Thanks for your replies.
We had left the thermostat on and capped it but think we must have disturbed something inside. Have now removed it all and put a white plastic stopper on (recommended by the local hardware shop). No more leaks (so far!!!!). Just hope it hasnt done any damage to the combi. I didnt turn the hot taps or heating on while the system was de pressurised. Have now re pressurised up to 1 bar.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back