The very best way to protect adjacent soldered joins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dunno why I had to do it. The pro plumber we had in didn't bother he just buried the pipes in the bonding unprotected. But the most complicated bit of plumbing I've ever done connects his work to the rest of the system There are 9 joins in very close proximity, reducers, etc.

I'll do it properly, I says. So I try and lag the buried hot water pipe with denso tape. And I pull a little too hard. It comes out of the elbow which was fitted to a short piece of pipe from a reducer. The first time I made this connection it was a little too high and I had to cut it all out and do it again. The second time it leaked and I've got something called "self-alamgamizing rubber tape" but I don't know how reliable it is, so I did it again. I really don't want to cut it all out and do it again. I'm prepared to pay for the best money for this to protect these adjacent joins to see if I can get away with just reconnecting the pipe that came loose.

I've read about wet rags and such but having tried those in the past I end up with burned rag parts stuck to the pipe so it's not a method for me. Is there some sort of "ice spray" that will keep those joins nice and cool so long as I have a helper douse them while I reconnect the loose pipe or I'm going to be a very unhappy individual.

The positive side of it all was though, since it p***** me off so much with the plumbing I went and cut all the floorboards square (whoever invented GOP/Multimaster/BMF 180 is Einstein) and slotted them in where they should be so now I have a proper floor again. But the plumbing still needs fixing. What's the very best chance I've got of keeping all 9 of those joins from not coming apart when I resolder this one elbow?

Oh, and if I removed the elbow and replaced with compression elbow that would make it too high again.

Sponsored Links
If its only 1 15mm end feed your doing the pipe wont get that hot if you do it quick.

Cool gel will help stop the adjacent area / pipes from the heat too.

Sponsored Links
Mr Bodge, what is going on? You say a soldered joint came apart from being pulled with tape? You want to fix a leak with some other sort of tape? You are living up to your name. Surely self amalgamating tape is only to be used as a temporary emergency measure? Who made the joint that could be pulled apart so easily? If it was the guy before then I reckon it's best to redo the whole thing. And not with tape.

Decent blow torch will heat the joint quick enough so the heat doesn't spread into adjacent joints.

If you use a Superfire 2 with the standard nozzle - it's too wide. Buy the spare nozzle for the Quickfire (the non adjustanble one) and put that on. Much narrower and shorter flame, but still OK for 35mm endfeed.

You can cut up ally coke cans with a knife - they make excellent heat shields you can make fit.

I had come up with my own invention of a water bath strapped to all the other joints but I think I'm gunna try the cool gel. Chris R solution sounds like the daddy but also a lot more expensive. If the cool gel fails, then I'll get myself some proper kit and stop faffing around with B & Q so I can solve troubles like these. Will let you know how it goes.

It wouldn't have been quite so complicated if I knew about parts like street elbows when I did it but hey I'm just a DIY and slowly getting less of the bodger (Bosch BMF 180 is also a tool I wish I knew about a few months ago).

Just solder it. It doesn't matter much if the solder melts in the other joints. As long as you let it cool again without bumping it, it will be fine.
Can't say i've ever bothered my rse about this one and i must have soldered hundreds of thousands of fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back