Does anyone know where i can get hard rubber blocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for some hard rubber blocks about 150 x 150 x 50mm to use as pads which i will cut an shape to suit the foot print of my trolley jack so i can jack up my car without damaging the jack points.

Ive done this before with a rubber ice hockey puck but i think something square or rectangualr will tend to move less under load. ( the round puck was not so stable)

Does anybody know a retailer (preferably online) who sells that kind of thing? or where i can get something like this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ive made one of these jacking blocks from a block of wood already today,

it takes a while to shape them as they need to fit the castlated foot of the jack and they also fit into a jackpoint socket under the car.

i jacked the car earlier with my wood block up but only just manged it.... the wood was creaking and cracking alll the time, when i lowered it it was pretty knackered.
I dont think it will last more that a few more trys. also i dont fancy it failing while im under the car.

My guess is that the worst that can happen with hard rubber is it will compress slightly rather than snap with me under/near the vehicle.

I just had a thought of using a rubber dive brick ( seem them on ebay) but im not sure if these have steel inners and are rubber coated?

Sponsored Links
Don't trust any jack enough to go crawling under your car, especially a hydraulic one. Always use a pair of axle stands or ramps.
Get a piece of close grained hardwood to use as a jacking pad.

How about an ice hockey puck?
This one from Amazon (£1.45) get 5-star reviews - as a jack pad
Thats awesome!
- Op says he has already tried it however.

To be honest, I thing far too much thought is going into this. I used a peice of 3*2 softwood, on edge if i want some more height, or two bits ontop of each other, whatever.

Daniel

How about these:

$(KGrHqV,!i8FBh7zQ,)kBQY)s6W10g~~60_58.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Bu...ailers_Transporters_Parts&hash=item33725605dd

They're used to prevent damage to truck bodies when backing up against loading bays.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back