Hidden jb's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a problem the other day. Customer said lighting tripped at irregular intervals. Found main lighting supply went straight up to top floor(three floors) and along under floor to (when i eventually found it)a string of four junction boxes daisy chained with three cables from each. After a day of searching problem was found to be a light fitting with a bit of water damage causing neutral/earth fault. I must have found twelve jb's in all, all hidden under floor. Customer said place was rewired eight years ago. Cables were a mix of white and grey. Not one loop in.

Sponsored Links
thought I should use this rather than start new topic(?)
Because of lack of slack I intend using a juction box and shoving it up just bove ceiling plasterboard. I always make sure connections are tight. Would this be a future problem to anyone or illegal?
I'm trying to avoid having a circlular or rectangular box on wall as both look ugly. And I'm fairly sure I CANT (just edited this from can sorry) just join cable with connecting block and bury in plaster. If I'm not allowed to do what I propose (ie shoving it above ceiling) are there any solutions
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some people claim that so-called "maintenance-free" junction boxes may be used in inaccessible locations.

OTOH there is no debate about whether crimps are suitable - they are.

Dandt, is the cable power or lighting?. If there is a hole big enough behind a light fitting to take the jb then no probs, if not then as BAS says look at crimp joints with heat shrink covering.

"ringmain"...thanks for replies
Having thought about it I may as well run a new cable to the next socket upstairs (if I can feed it through)..was trying to avoid work, but this will probably end up easier for me than learning about crimping ...I'm not against learning (but will leave this for a future occasion
Thanks

BS7671 regulation 132.12
Electrical equipment shall be arranged so as to afford as may be necessary:
(i)...
(ii) accessibility for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair

Hiding a JB behind a light fitting does not satisfy this regulation.

thought I should use this rather than start new topic(?)
Because of lack of slack I intend using a juction box and shoving it up just bove ceiling plasterboard. I always make sure connections are tight. Would this be a future problem to anyone or illegal?
I'm trying to avoid having a circlular or rectangular box on wall as both look ugly. And I'm fairly sure I CANT (just edited this from can sorry) just join cable with connecting block and bury in plaster. If I'm not allowed to do what I propose (ie shoving it above ceiling) are there any solutions
Thanks

If you can push it into a hole in the plasterboard then you can pull it out so it is accessable. Not ideal but...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back