Cast Iron Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're installing a new bathroom and the plumber has specified he is going to replace the original 1930s cast iron soil pipe that runs the height of the house with plastic to the ground. Is this the done thing? As far as I can tell there's absolutely nothing wrong with the cast and it seems a bit un-necessary. The only reason he's given is that modern fittings don't reliably fit onto old cast stuff like this.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
It is quite common to change a cast iron stack for plastic as it easier to make any necessary alterations for WC soil and other waste connections.

70-80 year old cast iron should be rusting quite nicely inside by now, that is, if it isn't cracked.

Hi,

The only reason he's given is that modern fittings don't reliably fit onto old cast stuff like this.

Any thoughts?
If you like black rubber bands about 4 inches wide with a couple of long jubilee clips round to hold onto the plastic/ iron - then get him to do it like that :idea: It`d better be well out of sight , cuz I wouldn`t put my name to a job like that :LOL: Perhaps he is of the same mind ;)

Sponsored Links
Agree with the above. If you prefer black, then soil and waste fittings are all available in a black rather than grey finish, so ask your installer to use if you don't want grey.

What is wrong with using timesaver? Personally i'd be keeping the cast if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back