Boiler failing to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

for some reason my boiler will not startup, there is plenty of oil and the control panel timer thing lights up indicating power..any ideas?

The make of boiler is a Trianco, Model Boxer C S1S 80

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Open the Boiler door, at the bottom is the Nu-way Boxer oil burner, on this is a plastic control box, marked "Satronic" if the light is glowing orange, the burner has locked out, press the lamp (its a reset button too) and the burner will go through a start sequence, if it locks out again after a few seconds you will need a good oil engineer ;)

Hi

There is no light on this button and nothing happens when it's pressed, anything else i can try?

Cheers.

I don't think that your Trianco has a tripping Overheat stat, BUT I may be wrong, have al ook around the boiler control panel and abover & behind it, there may be a Red or Green button somehwhere?

However I think this problem is more likely to be external to your Boiler, is the circulating pump running? if not, check the supply from the programmer, the operation of Motorised valves and auxillary switches, it seems the power supply to your boiler is getting lost somewhere.

Unless you are competent electrically I would get a Heating Service Engineer in to have a look, (this is a good time of year to have oil fired boilers serviced)! ;)

Sponsored Links
I agree it sounds as if there is no demand for heat.

Have you tried it on both CH and HW and including turning up the room thermostat for CH.

Have you left the immersion heater on and caused the HW thermostat to turn off?

Tony

Have you tried it on both CH and HW and including turning up the room thermostat for CH. Yes with no effect.

Have you left the immersion heater on and caused the HW thermostat to turn off? There is a separate switch near the fuse boxes that allows the water top be heated, this appears to be separate from the boiler.

is the circulating pump running? Yes, i can here it when the programmer is live.

the operation of Motorised valves and auxillary switches, it seems the power supply to your boiler is getting lost somewhere. I can't see or hear any noise coming from the boiler, it appears dead. I was wondering if the Satronic box could be the problem, can these fault?

Sounds like it might be time to get an engineers out!

Based on what you have said so far, the boiler needs to be tested to see if there is a call for heat getting to it.

That needs a mains voltage measurement with a test meter on the appropriate boiler connection.

If you cannot do then then its engineer time!

Tony

It's time for a Good Oil Boiler Service Engineer, (it's a bit far for me tho!!) ;)

Just had a thought though!! the cable that feeds the burner runs up and fits a plug on the underside of the Boiler panel, these multi-pin plug & sockets can work loos especially if the retaining clip has broken (common) before hitting the phone give the plastic pug & socket a good Wiggle!! ;)

The cable that feeds the burner runs up and fits a plug on the underside of the Boiler panel, these multi-pin plug & sockets can work loos especially if the retaining clip has broken (common) before hitting the phone give the plastic pug & socket a good Wiggle - Tried that already, i've even taken the control switch off to make sure all the connections were tight, it really does seem that there is no power getting to the boiler or controller!

Anyway, many thanks guys for your ideas, i'll get an engineer out..

Not being someone to give in....

I've now discovered the faulty part is some sort of thermostat, i had previously replaced the Control Box as the old one had what appeared to be a burn mark on the inside, this did nothing though.

I need help identifiing the faulty part so i can replace it, the boiler has 2 copper thermostats, one connects to the boiler heat control, the other (faulty one) connects to a circular copper disc, this has 2 feeds, live and neutral going into it, it then connects to the boiler heat control.

Any ideas??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back