Outside Lighting Circuit Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have set up a lighting circuit outside using 1mm cables, I have added a switch indoors and also wired it into the consumer unit under the lighting fuse for downstairs.

When I flick the switch, the consumer trip blows, so I have disconnected all the lights except the first one, I can have the circuit on if I do not have a bulb in place, but if I add a bulb it blows the trip again...

Can anyone help please... I have checked the voltage at the bulb and there is 240v ... help !!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is a 60w normal pearl bulb, I have tried 3 different bulbs and also a seperate light fitting, so the light and bulb do not have any problems...

When I flick the switch, the consumer trip blows

Would this be the lighting circuit fuse or the main switch? If it's the main switch is this a plain isolator or an RCD? (Look for a test button.) An earth/neutral fault on your new wiring could trip an RCD.

Sponsored Links
Would this be the lighting circuit fuse or the main switch?

This is a lighting circuit fuse which is connected to the bus after the RCD... the circuit does not blow the lighting fuse, but does blow the RCD.

If it's the main switch is this a plain isolator or an RCD?

RCD

An earth/neutral fault on your new wiring could trip an RCD.

I have checked the earths and cannot find anything wrong...

if its tripping the rcd it must be a neutral / earth short.

i suggest you take apart anything "just added" and see if you havre trapped a wire

50p says he has connected the neutral to the wrong neutral block...

Yes... Yes ... Thanks Adam_151 ... you are right, I knew it was simple... I was killing myself for this one...

Thanks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back