Ferolli Sigma 40-60 Boiler Problem - Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

until yesterday my boiler has been working very well, but now when it fires up it seems to run for approx 2 minutes and then sounds like it is a kettle boiling water, starts shuddering and then shuts off.

I hope this doesn't sound a crazy description but its the only way of describing it.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Ian .... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
hey does ur central heating work ok, if it does i would suggest a hotwater themister fault

Hey DWBBill,

Thanks for your reply.. I can confirm that the CH doesn't seem to work either as I have tried turning the stat on the wall up hi to and it requests heat from the boiler but it doesnt fire up.

Hope this helps

Ian

Sponsored Links
mate im a gas fitter myself and i feel reluctant to give out advice or instructions for sorting this yourself, its understandable.. my advice is to get someone to come out and look at it from the gas safe registrar.

Hi all,

until yesterday my boiler has been working very well, but now when it fires up it seems to run for approx 2 minutes and then sounds like it is a kettle boiling water, starts shuddering and then shuts off.

I hope this doesn't sound a crazy description but its the only way of describing it.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Ian .... :rolleyes:

Hi Ian,
You need to pop up into your roof space and take a look into the small expansion tank/header tank and I think you will find that it's dry.
Just work the ballvalve up and down and the system will start to take in water don't worry it will stop filling when it's full.
I might be wrong of course but I'll give it 70% odds that I'm right!
Good luck
Post back if it's not and we'll try something else.

mate im a gas fitter myself and i feel reluctant to give out advice or instructions for sorting this yourself, its understandable.. my advice is to get someone to come out and look at it from the gas safe registrar.

Gee, give the guy a break!
You've got a bad attitude problem mate!

gee its called common sense, something you must not really have, would you like to be responsible for a flood or gas explosion or something more serious, giving out tecnical advice over something you haven,t even seen is insane.

Hi

Sounds like a blockage in the heat ex or at least a flow problem.
When was the last time work was carried out on it?

HTH

hey does ur central heating work ok, if it does i would suggest a hotwater themister fault

?? Ferroli sigma is a heat only boiler , cast iron heat exchanger , would suggest as per previous comment , check feed & exp tank unless the system is sealed ?? check pressure , pump is it working ?? b eleive pump is wired back to boiler on this model ?? heat exc may be sludged up ? is there a bypass on the system ??

check the pump is running ;)

edit just seen transam beat me to it

Hi again all,

Thanks for all of your posts, I would just like to update you all and say that the system seems to be working again... Not sure what did it though.... lol

I switched the main power off to the boiler, opened the screw slightly on the on the pump and a little drop of fluid came out I secured the screw back up and switched the pump upto the highest (3) Switched the power back on and she fired up and is working like before.

God only knows what the problem was, but all seems fine again.

Thanks again to all who replied, this site is priceless and all who take time out of their lives to help those in need.

Ian

Glad your boilers back working Ian.
I did say a 70% on my diagnosis!
It was in the remaining 30% so I guess I lost my money this time :D

Sounds like the pump just had some trapped air in it.
Is the pump at a high point in the system?

gee its called common sense, something you must not really have, would you like to be responsible for a flood or gas explosion or something more serious, giving out tecnical advice over something you haven,t even seen is insane.

Bloody jobsworth!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back