Problem fitting electric shower unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a novice DIYer (I can hear the groans already!). I've just bought my first house and I am having to do a lot of the required work myself due to a tight budget. I'm currently replacing my electric shower with a, basically, like-for-like model (Gainsborough Stanza 8.5kW): I've removed the old unit, fitted a chrome elbow compression fitting to the water pipe that comes in through the wall (replacing the old brass one that was badly corroded), and mounted the new unit on the wall...
...my problem is, the inlet pipe on the shower unit is plastic, yet the installation guide says it must be connected to the water supply via a 15mm compression elbow, using a copper olive (which is supplied). But the compression elbow does not fit tightly to the plastic pipe and can quite easily be slid back and forth, so when I turn the water on the pressure causes the elbow to slide straight off the pipe and soak my bathroom!
I have read the installation guide aver and over but this is the only direction it gives. I'm sure the solution is simple but it is driving me crazy. Please help!

Thanks,
Don

Sponsored Links
If you can post some images it might help to see what the problem is, not familiar with the shower your talking about, but fittings yes !

Put the compression nut onto the plastic pipe first, then slide the olive onto the pipe, and screw the nut onto the elbow's thread. Tighten a half turn with a spanner. This will push the olive into the ebow and form the seal.

Watch this video. The only differences are that one of your pipes will be plastic, not copper (the inlet pipe on the shower), and your fitting is a right-angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9c5LWFI_M4

Put the compression nut onto the plastic pipe first, then slide the olive onto the pipe, and screw the nut onto the elbow's thread. Tighten a half turn with a spanner. This will push the olive into the ebow and form the seal.

Watch this video. The only differences are that one of your pipes will be plastic, not copper (the inlet pipe on the shower), and your fitting is a right-angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9c5LWFI_M4[/QUOTE]

Utterly shocked you recommending a video tutorial on compression fittings
and no jet blue to be seen ! :LOL:

Sponsored Links

I'm a Boss white man myself! :LOL:

Presumably this means the the OP has not tightened either side of the elbow? Can't see why you'd do the copper side and not the plastic.

That's great! Wow, can't you tell I'm a novice? I'm obviously just not tightening the nut enough so that it compresses the olive and stays in place. I'll give it a try.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Don

Go steady, its a plastic pipe.

Just tight enough so it doesn't leak. Too tight is broken! :oops: ;)

boss white pro
:cool:
jet blue real pro:cool: :cool: :cool: remember :LOL:

boss white pro

Both of which void the warranty on Mira showers ;)

boss white pro

Both of which void the warranty on Mira showers ;)

Yes, I'm sure Gasbanni and I am aware of this. We were advocating the use of jointing compound in the compression fitting used in the video. You need to read the thread again! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back