Fitting wooden floor, best method to cut around staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Going to be fitting a floating wooden floor in my hallway next week and want some advice about the best way to cut the flooring to fit around the staircase post.

My hallway is a square of about 2 metres with with the staircase coming down i have basiccally an L shape hallway to floor.

diagram time :)

[code:1]---DOOR -----------------
I I
I I
I I
I I
I O----------I
I I----------I
I I----------I ------ stairs
I I----------I
---DOOR -----------------[/code:1]

Now i have removed my skirting and undercut the doorframes so that the wood will fit under neatly leaving a gap for expansion but my problem is the bottom banister of the stairs, shown by the "O" in my rather basic diagram

I cant undercut into this (can I???), and becase of its shape (hexigon) i dont think i could cut the floor to fit around it without it looking like ass and leaving a visualy unapealing gap. So how should i go about this?

I can upload a pic of the area concerned if my description of my dilema was not very helpfull.

Thanks for your time
rumple

EDIT: added code tags to fix diagram

Sponsored Links
If its thick enough you can undercut it but only take 5-7mm out otherwise it will weaken the support. A few other options are to cut neatly around it leaving a small 2mm gap and use some bona gapmaster sealant, use a scotia or use a thin flat bead.

thanks for the prompt reply, the post is about 50mmx120mm so im thinking losing 5mm undercut would be acceptable.

Its probably going to give the best result visually

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back