shelving unit / wall lights x3 / dimmer and plug socket?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have made a floor standing shelving unit from MDF and want to add 2x lights on a dimmer and connect as a lamp from the mains.

The wall lights are 40w halogen wall lights and will be permanently fixed to the shelving unit.

The dimmer is a 250w push rotary dimmer 1g switch and will be fixed to the back of the unit.

I want to power the lights from a wall socket using a 3 pin plug

Could you please help me with the wiring? The dimmer is in a plastic wall mounted box and I will have to add a connecting block for the earths as it doesn't have a corner terminal as metal boxes have.

I will need to earth the wall lights as they are part metal bodied.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I will have to add a connecting block for the earths as it doesn't have a corner terminal as metal boxes have.

You will need a connecting block for the neutrals, as well.

Inside the dimmer box you will need:

Cable from wall lights: brown to dimmer L1, blue to term block1 (neutral), earth conductor - sleeved green/yellow - to term block2

Cable from wall plug (make sure it's got a 3amp fuse): brown to dimmer terminal C; blue to term block1 (neutral), earth conductor - sleeved - to term block2

That's it.

Thats great thanks, one last question: -

Do i connect the wall lights in series i.e. one cable from dimmer to wall light one, then from wall light one to wall light two (blue to blue, brown to brown earth to earth)or do I run individual cables from each wall light to the dimmer?

thanks

;)

If theres only two lights either way whatevers neatest, theres not always room for two wires in some fittings.
Your not actually connecting in series though, just looping light to light.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help

next weekend we should have lights!

:)

(would have used the thanks button but apparently I am not logged in...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back