Electric hedge trimmer jammed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Bosch electric hedge trimmer has jammed - I think that it struck a metal object that was protruding from the hedge.

I unplugged everything and then tried to take it apart to see if I could find the fault, but one of the screws holding it together is completely burred and cannot be removed, making it impossible to get inside the machine (maybe a cunning ploy by Bosch to prevent me from fixing it myself and having to send it to their service centre?!).

Any ideas on an easy fix or do I need to take it to a repair centre?

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
The damage is likely to be in the drive gear, at the bottom of the machine, where the cutter bar pokes out from......if you can remove this sole plate you'll access the mechanism within. That screw will have to come out somehow - can you use mole grips or similar, if its protruding?
John :)

Thanks John,

The screw is buried within a deep recess so I'm at a loss as to how to get it out without just forcing it free - not ideal.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a sole plate - all the mechanics are encased in the body of the machine, which is two halves screwed together (one of which I can't remove!).

It sounds like I'll need to get it to a service centre - or just buy a new one.

Thanks for your reply though.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I've got you now....they are black phillips screws deep in the recess?
You could try drilling the head off.....once you get the casing open there may be enough of the screw remaining for you to remove it with pliers.
John :)

If the screw that you cannot remove is in a deep recess, how did it get burred over?
Check again it could be a torx screw, these can be mistaken for allen head screws, of it has been damaged by trying to undo with a philips type screwdriver, then you have little option but to drill it out.

Wotan

quite often with a chewed up philips or pozi screw a flat bit the correct width [about 3mm less than the diameter off the star]taped with a hammer to locate battery drill slow speed minimum revs bobs your uncle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back