Cordless stuck on hammer setting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cordless is a Macallister 18volt.

I have had it 3 years and although it has had a lot of use I have looked after it and I have certainly had my monies worth out of it

As above it seems to be stuck in hammer action all the time - can this be fixed? - If it can I will never use it on hammer again (promise)

Sponsored Links
You could open up the gearbox and remove parts of the hammer mechanism. Alternatively, buy a better drill. ;)

As you haven't given the model it's hard to know whether I'll be talking rubbish now, but if it's one with a torque ring that's also used to select hammer mode, and the torque ring's stuck, getting some grips on it may help, although it also may make it more broken...

@ muggles - yes it has a torque ring :D - but no its not stuck :(

@ Monkeh - that may be an option because the tool is perfect apart from this problem

....have you any experience of actually doing this????

....any tips????

Sponsored Links
spray in some wd40 and move the ring several times
pull the chuck out as some chucks rely on dropping back to engage the hammer action so maybe if the spring is weak it needs pulling out to engage the latch to hold it off the hammer action

Awww :cry: ...... is it or can it be that simple????

....I wanted to take it apart ;)

will try that before I break ....err ...take it apart

its just a long shot that probably wont work :D :D ;)
when you do take it to bits make shure its on a flat solid surface
it will naturaly come to bits with the componants sitting more happily in one half than the other
you may have to turn the ring or move switches to a specific place to release the side
take a picture with all the componants in place before and after removing the side
take pictures at all stages off removing componants from 2 angles

Cheers big-all - In reality I always suspected/knew I would end up dismantling it....

...done it before on previous tools with varying degrees of success!

not sure what I will find yet, certainly have no idea what the hammer bit will look like either.
Its worth a go - the drill doesn't owe me anything, but its annoying that you only get 3 years out of stuff, especially when you are as anal as I am at looking after stuff

I can take my spare, crappy drill apart and provide photos if you like, it should be broadly similar.

...may take you up on that - but may be a week or so and lots of beer before I get brave enough.

Will keep you all informed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back