Earthing System & Tranny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, not a quiz as such (well, ok it is), but what earthing system do you think this pole mounted tranny provides?

It is a single tranny feeding a single service head.

1280335480.jpg

1280335425.jpg

1280335424.jpg

And, this sign probably means very little to us mortals - it just reads like bad english :LOL:

1280335426.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well the concensus is TN-C-S. This is what I thought too when I looked, which annoyed me as TN-S had been requested and confirmed.

I had a closer look....

1280335423.jpg

TN-S at the head, but at the tranny they should have taken two conductors from the N terminal on the side of the tranny, one going down to the 'rod' in the ground (done) and the other for the neutral. The split concentric cable should of had the neutral on the neutral conductor and earth crimped onto the smaller conductor running down to the rod.

Can you spot another error?

Have they just got the colours in the wrong order is is the actual phase rotation backwards too?

Are the DNO saying they have supplied a TN-S?

Given that it's present in the upper picture I presume he just took it off to figure out what was going on.

I have never worked with split con before... do you not need to sleeve the bare CPC's?

I have never worked with split con before... do you not need to sleeve the bare CPC's?

You would if installing under BS7671, but DNO's don't install to BS7671 afaik. As such they're too lazy to bother.

Have they just got the colours in the wrong order is is the actual phase rotation backwards too?

Are the DNO saying they have supplied a TN-S?

Didn't have my phase rotator so could not check the rotation, and as they have taped the cores up the pole you cannot really tell from that. I will check at some point - it's not essential at the mo.

DNO have confirmed TN-S on paperwork but are sending an eng to check.....

Nope. You can't tell the DNO how to configure their equipment.

If there's a separate earth and neutral conductor from the star point of the tranny (which is rodded down) then it's TN-S. End of story mate.

That's the point, the neutral and earth are being taken from the same conductor (star point to the earth rod conductor) part way down the pole hence neutral current will be flowing in the short length of cable between the join and the transformer star point.

What type of installation is it Lec? Caravan site / farm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back