Auto trader

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have advertised my car on trader and have received a few replies but this one is ridiculus, I don't know what to make of it.
Has anyone got any idea, or is it some sort of scam?

Here is a copy and paste of the reply:( I asked him/her about a previous similar reply saying "what are you talking about" hence this reply )

Thanks for the mail..well i really appreciated your effort about thistransaction..well i want you to understand that the check will send toyou is 100% okay that will clear into your account before will canproceed on the shipment...my shipping company will come to see it whenthey come for the pickup of item.And also to let you understand thatthe cheque i send to you will be more than your asking price and assoon you have received the cheque and clear..you will deduct your owncost and send the remaining money to the shipping company for them tocome for the pickup of the item in your location...So i want you toget back to me with this following details for the cheque to be issuedout and send to you.FULL NAME.......CONTACT ADDRESS........ASKING PRICE..........CITY........STATE..........ZIP CODE.........PHONE NUMBER.........Pls mail me today to let me know I am the rightful owner. Thanks forselling to me.

Sponsored Links
I have advertised my car on trader and have received a few replies but this one is ridiculus, I don't know what to make of it.
Has anyone got any idea, or is it some sort of scam?

Here is a copy and paste of the reply:( I asked him/her about a previous similar reply saying "what are you talking about" hence this reply )

Thanks for the mail..well i really appreciated your effort about thistransaction..well i want you to understand that the check will send toyou is 100% okay that will clear into your account before will canproceed on the shipment...my shipping company will come to see it whenthey come for the pickup of item.And also to let you understand thatthe cheque i send to you will be more than your asking price and assoon you have received the cheque and clear..you will deduct your owncost and send the remaining money to the shipping company for them tocome for the pickup of the item in your location...So i want you toget back to me with this following details for the cheque to be issuedout and send to you.FULL NAME.......CONTACT ADDRESS........ASKING PRICE..........CITY........STATE..........ZIP CODE.........PHONE NUMBER.........Pls mail me today to let me know I am the rightful owner. Thanks forselling to me.

what do you think !! Barge pole anyone

got to be a scam. avoid it.

unless the purchaser comes to my door with cash and signs the V5 i take no money and the car doesn't leave. pretty simple really.

Got this today :confused:
Thanks for your reply, I am satisfied with the purchase, I'm alrightwith it, i am willing to make out Payment right away to you, I haveseen the price and its ok by me then i have instructed my client toissue a Certified Cashier's Check or Bank Draft in your name that willclear in 3-5 days,meanwhile i also instructed him to include yourmoney on the payment.So my client will need the following data toissued the check... Full Legal name:Address:City:postal code:State:Asking PriceMobile Telephone number: i imply that as soon as you receive my payment and and deduct yourmoney for the item and then wait for further instruction to have myshipping Charges Paid to the delivery Company as soon as you receivethe check.My Shipper will come for pick up of the goods on a specifieddate that will be convenient for you i hope i can count on you for mybalance I ALSO WANT THIS TO BASE ON TRUST CAN I TRUST YOU?... Hope ican trust you with my shipping company charges. Please acknowledgethis email I have sent you and await my payment.so await my paymentbetween next week ok.Please kindly get the advert out of the web and consider it sold. soI will be waiting to hear from you. N:B My manager will be coming down with the shipping company to signall necessarydocuments okay.
It seems like a dodgy Email but WHY? Cos I aint that stupid to go and give my car to anyone and they haven't asked for any bank details :eek:
YET ;)

Sponsored Links
I got an almost identical email from the winning bidder for a car I put on ebay a few years ago - ebay alerted - user ID deleted - No sale - lot re-auctioned....

Ignore it, it sounds like a classic scam. The cheque might clear originally however may bounce in a number of weeks time (could be 6 - 9 weeks or more).
You lose the car and get stung with the shipping costs.

Ignore it, it sounds like a classic scam. The cheque might clear originally however may bounce in a number of weeks time (could be 6 - 9 weeks or more).
Thats the thing what check? I think someone is fooking about TBH, I don't know why or who but I'm not falling for it ;) :D

They use counterfeit cheques but the sort code and a/c No is from a big company, say ICI. When the cheque goes through the clearing system the only thing that is checked is the sort code and a/c No.

So the crook sends you a cheque for £2000 in payment for your £1500 car. You wait for the cheque to clear and hand over the car and £500.

At some time in the future (theres no time limit) ICI are checking their books and see the fraudulent transaction. ICI get their £2000 returned and your bank takes £2000 out of your account.

Result, you've lost £4000.

The only way I would finalise this type of sale would be in my local bank branch. You bring the cash and I give you a paying in slip in favour of my account. Once the monies behind the counter I give you the car and keys.
Also prevents you mugging me for the cash.

They use counterfeit cheques but the sort code and a/c No is from a big company, say ICI. When the cheque goes through the clearing system the only thing that is checked is the sort code and a/c No.

So the crook sends you a cheque for £2000 in payment for your £1500 car. You wait for the cheque to clear and hand over the car and £500.

At some time in the future (theres no time limit) ICI are checking their books and see the fraudulent transaction. ICI get their £2000 returned and your bank takes £2000 out of your account.

Result, you've lost £4000.
You "only" lose £2000 (the value of the car plus the £500), since you have got £2000 in your account from ICI. So when they retrieve their money, they are only taking back the payment for the cash and car.

Or am I missing something obvious :confused:

Check out this site first, it gives you exactly the same stories...

www.419eater.com

Basically its a scam, they(nigerians) offer to buy whatever it is your selling at whatever price you are after, they tell you theres a problem though; the cheque is already made out for X amount, can we send you the cheque, you deduct the price for your car and send them the car and the remainder of the money back(usually by western union) as its instant and untraceable, weeks later your bank phones you to tell you the cheque has bounced, by that time you've lost your car or whatever it was you were selling

Not normally cheques, but forged bankers drafts, which are accepted as cash, and it takes a few days for the document to clear the system, they are sent from the bank, that accepts them, to a clearing centre, onto the origional bank. That then refuse them.

Typical scam, report to police.

this is a scam. paying more than the agreed price is a definite alarm bell.But the general stupidity of the email is a dead give away too.

They don't want people too smart. They want someone who they can trick more than once, and is none the wiser.

Also the footsoldier that send out these emails are not the most clued up people.

Don't part with your car until you have the money or the cheque has been cleared.

If you want to sell a car quickly ebay is the place, you may possibly get more for it from a classified ad but it will usually take time. Check ebay for similar models in similar condition and see what they are making because that's what you will get for yours. A car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

I have bought and sold several cars on ebay but never without prior inspection although if the vehicle doesn't match the description you are under no obligation to complete the deal, not much consolation though if you have travelled the length of the country to see it.

Buyers usually pay cash on collection although if you have online banking its easy enough to make a credit transfer.

By the way, I have no connection with ebay, just find it very useful

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back