Rusty bathroom radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed that there is rust appearing at the bottom of my bathroom radiator, as a result the paint is bubbling and can be peeled off to reveal rust underneath (I've peeled off some, as can be seen in this photo):

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Dalek99999/Image1.jpg

It's mainly affecting the lower front panel (innder and out edges) and the sides.

Naturally I want to stop this from getting any worse as I don't want water to end up leaking from the radiator and have to buy a new one, so what is the best course of treatment to stop the rust from getting any worse?

Peel/scrape off all bubbling paint, wire brush it and use a special paint that stops the rust from getting any worse?

How about something like Hammerite?

Would I need to apply a 'treatment' paint to prevent the rust from getting any worse, then a standard gloss coat? Or is there an 'all in one' paint that would do the job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
oxidisation in steel is virtually impossible to stop once it starts, unless you cut out the rust and replace with good steel , which with a radiator is impractical. A replacement radiator would cost less than £20 plus fitting.
Plus trying to treat the rust with the recommended materials would be almost as expensive and not very aesthetically pleasing

That's a pain, I was hoping to get away with a dab of paint. :)

Bearing in mind that the radiator is probably 15 years old, should I be able to buy a replacement that will be of the same dimensions and fit onto the existing wall brackets?

This is one of the 'thick' types that is about 3 or so inches deep and has a flat top.

Here's a pic of the front of it:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Dalek99999/front.jpg

and the top:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Dalek99999/top.jpg

Should I be able to find an exact same replacement do you think? Is there a particular name for this type?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a look at your rad. from the sides and the top.

A single panel is just that - a plain, relatively flat panel about an inch thick.

Or it may be a single panel with a row of extra corrugated convector fins attached to the back.

A double panel is two single panels mounted back to back, and is usually about 3" deep.

Either or both panels may also have convector fins added, maybe even two sets on the back panel.

For the replacement to be an exact fit, the distance between the sockets the rad. valves screw into is the important dimension. That is usually the same as the overall width of the rad. There are several different standard heights available, taller ones having a higher output. Generally, the same size and the same number of convectors will have about the same heat output.

Measure the width of your rad, then go to an outlet like
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Double-Universal-Radiator/invt/205296 and choose what you want. Your current fitting is a double convector. However depending on the size of your bathroom a single may suffice.
You will see on the above site that you can buy a single or double and then for a few more £ buy a kit to turn it into a convector. The mounting brackets come with the kit.
Or you could splash out and replace it with a towel radiator. However if you do this be aware tha there is less surface area to give off heat

a nearby plumber probably will charge you less than £50 for a straight swap (if you've bought the parts), plus leave the old one near the front gate and some gyppo will remove it free of charge. ;)

This is a common occurance. The warm moist air in a bathroom will condense onto a cooler radiator in the summer when the radiator is off and run down to the bottom to form drops that rust through from the outside. get a rad with a quality paint finish, and when you visit friends look at the bottom of their bathroom rads.

This is a common occurance. The warm moist air in a bathroom will condense onto a cooler radiator in the summer when the radiator is off and run down to the bottom to form drops that rust through from the outside. get a rad with a quality paint finish, .
or wipe it over regularly with an oily rag :idea: ;)

Thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead - I ended up employing a plumber to replace the rusty radiator in early August 2010. However, I've just noticed that the new radiator is developing the exact same problem, ie the paint is starting to peel at the base of the radiator and rust is forming underneath it.

What's the warranty on these rads? Surely at least 12 months?

I don't have any continuous damp in the bathroom - naturally mositure builds up whenever someone has had a bath (every few days) which soon dries out, but otherwise it's good and dry.

could be that the water in your system is eating the rad :)

even so a year is too quick where did you get the rad from? call them and tell them what has happened

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back