Bathroom Extractor - Fan Blades Breaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I'm at a loss with this one.

About 2 months ago the extractor fan above the shower in the en-suite destroyed itself. When I opened it up all the blades on the fan had come off and shattered.

The fan was a manrose CF100 and had been in the house for about 10 years. I replaced it with the current equivalent manrose model. 2 weeks later exactly the same thing happned to the new fan.

Took it back and got a replacement. And again. Two weeks later same thing. Fan blades shattered.

Decided to try an inline shower fan mounted in the loft with ducting from above the shower to the fan. That ran ok for about a month and has now done exactly the same thing.

Any of you guys have any ideas what could cause this ?

The only thing I can think of is some kind of chemical reaction with the plastic causing it to go brittle and crack. But have no idea what.

Everything was fine until about 2 months ago. I can't recall us using any different products in the en-suite from we normally use.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Westy

Sponsored Links
Any of you guys have any ideas what could cause this ?
Only one possible explanation - one or more objects are getting into the ducting and colliding with the fan blades.

What is at the outlet end of the ducting, and what route does it take (horizintal/vertical etc) ?

The ducting runs horizontal along the floor of the loft for about 3-4 meters then out the side wall.

All of the fans have had flaps on the exhaust side that only open out to prevent something entering the fan.

Westy

I've had a Manrose wall fan for 5-6 years, still fine. Something must be hitting your blades.

Sponsored Links
I've got manrose fans in 3 2 other bathrooms which are fine as well.

Just from the position of the in-line fan I find it really hard to work out how something can be getting into the fan housing and hitting the fan blades.

The ceiling vent goes up to the inline fan, about 3/4m rise. Nothing solid should be getting sucked up there.

The only other route is back down the exhaust side. Which would mean something would have to travel 3-4m horizontally, then up 3/4m to get to the fan. Then get through the hinged flaps to get into the fan.

I'm going to check the tubing to see if there are any rips that could be letting in debris.

Have they got small kids, caught my 5 year old throwing toys at mine.

I was thinking more along the lines of something chewing through or part through the blades when the fan is off, as far as I know these fans do not have enough torque to chop up a mouse or even sheer the blades off if a foreign body gets in them. Certainly not at only 2 months old before they have maybe gone brittle. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back