Leaking Boiler

KZ7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ISTOR HE325 Boiler which has developed a leak and which seems to be coming from the top of the filling loop which connects at the other end to the Cold Water in pipe.I have turned the bolier off completely but the incessant leak is now causing damage to the ceiling below the boiler which I cannot control.I thought the best thing todo might be to try to drain the cylinder but even if this is the right thing to do the drain valve is awkwardly positioned so I donot think I will be able to attach a hose pipe at all easily.Even if I did willl the cylinder just refill unless I cut the water off and if so how do I do that?Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Draining your cylinder will not help !! ifthe leak is on the filling loop , one side connects to the mains water supply ! the other connects to the heating boiler circuit , which side is leaking ?? the heating circuit connection would be the larger pipe !!

The filling loop goes to the heating circuit, not the tap water. So it's not the cylinder you'd have to deal with, but the heating. How you'd do that would depend on the layout. Bear in mind that iof you turn the boiler isolating valves off, they're likely to leak afterwards.

It looks to be dripping down from its connection to the Hot Water return pipe not the other end which connects to Cold Water in.

Sponsored Links
Picture now in my album.The filliing loop is the silver hose running down between the two lengths of cooper pipe on the right of the image.The water appears to be leaking from the area of the top of the loop connection downwards.

thats the central heating end.
get a new valve, a normal 15mm compression isolation valve will do
turn off boiler.
close both valves shut. remove filling loop at the lower end.
put loop end into bucket, open top valve. when water stops, remove old valve put on new one.
refill boiler to 1.5 bar, run heating with thermostat low til air noises stop.
have a beer and feel pleased with yourself.

• Thanks
Reactions: KZ7
Thanks for the diagnosis and suggestion.Our heating engineer,when the problem first began a few weeks ago,advised we need a new cylinder(which IDEAL has now agreed to provide FOC).We were managing the leak up until a few days ago as it was only leaking small amounts of water which I could contain(literally).Whatever the cause what about a quick fix just to stop the leak (until the engineer can get in again to see us to just sort that issue(as the cylider isn't arriving from IDEAL until sometime next week))?

you could start by turning the other valve off, it shouldnt be open. if it still leaks your pretty stuck really, unless you wanna lose your hot water.
Whats wrong with the tank? Interested cos when i first saw these istors i was surprised(not sure why) ideal had gone down the copper route.

Engineer just advised that cylinder was the cause of the leak so not too sure how or why.As have turned the bolier off completely we are no longer relying on it for hot water(back to the "1900 house" experience boiling hot water to have a bath)..So if I manage to turn the valve off at the end where the filling loop connects to the cold in should that mean that no more water can get into the cylinder?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back