Just had my boiler disconnected due to undersized pipes HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a ideal HE35 in my flat had it repaired then the guy said it was not getting enough gas so capped it off and left!!!

I have a 3 month old baby and no one can help - need to get it back on

the last 5 meters or so under the floor is on 15m pipe (i know to small) but looks like just needs this bit upgrading to 22m pipe

Its a first floor flat so quite a way from the gas meter though - but upgrading the lot would be very tricky and its on stall and copper. - The builder is bust so have no come back.

any thoughts or any one able to help

need hot water and heat for my family 9 days with out now!!!

thanks

john

Sponsored Links
Although the RGI sounds correct, he is not allowed to cap off your appliance without your permission.

Did he actually test the gas inlet pressure and tell you the pressure drop between the meter and the boiler?

Do we assume that this is a new build property as you mention the builder has gone bust?

If so there must have been some form of warranty on the flat, eg NHBC or similar.

Hi the NHBC don't cover pipes (its 2006 build) so not that old

the guy tested at the meter and at the boiler and said the flow was too low - the other flats must be the same though? - so why pick on me? did not give an option on disconnection - capped it off just under the boiler slapped a sticker on and left me with a form (it was about 10mb at the boiler) and the meter is tested as being 'fine' - worked fine for 4 years before though

thanks

john

NHBD don't cover leaks in pipes - they should cover incorrect design / installation as this is.

Sponsored Links
Hi the NHBC don't cover pipes (its 2006 build) so not that old

the guy tested at the meter and at the boiler and said the flow was too low - the other flats must be the same though? - so why pick on me? did not give an option on disconnection - capped it off just under the boiler slapped a sticker on and left me with a form (it was about 10mb at the boiler) and the meter is tested as being 'fine' - worked fine for 4 years before though

thanks

john

On a room sealed fan assisted boiler, insufficient inlet pressure to the boiler when in operation is classed AT RISK not immediately dangerous! therefore, he had no right to disconnect the appliance.

In all likelihood another 12 month trained short course idiot in action. Get him back to reconnect it now, or tell him if he doesn't you'll put a local article in the press about him, that should focus the tw4ts mind.

Post up a copy of the certification he left and i'll look at it.

You can do two things.

1.Try and sort this out by forcing the guy to undo what he did via legal action or threatening with it. Could take a long time, and you might not win the case.

2.Cough up a couple of hundred quid, and get it reconnected with a proper gas pipe tomorrow.

I know what I would do.

And if you`re in Kent near London - Agile will probably come out .Unless he`s on holiday in France ;)

Thats only a diagnostic fee for fault finding.

Kent is SE of London and must be in MK territory !

The obvious simple solution is to run a correctly sized pipe up the outside of the building.

The OP has not explained why the 15 mm cannot be upgraded to 22 mm.

I thought we were still meant to turn off anything classed as At Risk or has it changed since I did my ACS last August ?

Tony

Thats only a diagnostic fee for fault finding.

Kent is SE of London and must be in MK territory !

The obvious simple solution is to run a correctly sized pipe up the outside of the building.

The OP has not explained why the 15 mm cannot be upgraded to 22 mm.

I thought we were still meant to turn off anything classed as At Risk or has it changed since I did my ACS last August ?

Tony

AT RISK is defined as having the potential to be dangerous, but does not mean that it is, therefore, the operative had no right to cap the supply to the appliance!

AT RISK you are advised to TURN the appliance of i.e the rotary switch on the boiler to zero and advise that should they continue to use it, then they do so at there own risk.

All in all, insufficient working pressure at the inlet to a room sealed fan asissted boiler will only create a situation where the heat output of the boiler is reduced and due to the way modern air/gas ratio valves operate, if anything there would be to much air in relation to gas which, would only reduce the efficiency of the appliance.

Hardly a reason to disconnect the supply, another instance where poorley trained/inexperienced operatives go to far.

BG are by far the worst!

Note: with the use of a flue gas analyser and all readings being well, it could be classed NCS.

I thought existing incorrect pipe sizing was NCS unless you were getting incorrect burner pressure, gas rate and/or FGA readings.

Got a ideal HE35 in my flat had it repaired then the guy said it was not getting enough gas so capped it off and left!!!

I have a 3 month old baby and no one can help - need to get it back on

the last 5 meters or so under the floor is on 15m pipe (i know to small) but looks like just needs this bit upgrading to 22m pipe

Its a first floor flat so quite a way from the gas meter though - but upgrading the lot would be very tricky and its on stall and copper. - The builder is bust so have no come back.

any thoughts or any one able to help

need hot water and heat for my family 9 days with out now!!!

thanks

john

As you have said it is a HE35 then it will probably be an Isar or esprit which, only have a 15mm gas connection to the boiler.

Therefore, running 22mm so far then reducing to 15mm is normal as it allows capacity to add other appliances.

So I would definitely be hounding that cowboy sh1t! don't give in.

Sorry, your reply wasn't there when I hit the 'submit' button. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back