Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you're converting a single brick skin garage to a habitable room and then putting an additional storey on top, would you normally look at installing an internal block wall on the ground floor or a timber stud wall?

The external brick wall at first floor level will be built off the existing brick wall at ground floor level and the internal wall at first floor level could be built in timber.

Obviously, this would be subject to the existing foundations because I'd need to ascertain what can be built off the existing garage floor slab, without the need for underpinning.

Sponsored Links
DD. BC have never let us put up load bearing internal skin on garage oversite without going down to existing founds.
That being the case we would go block work in preference to stud. We find it easier.
oldun

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks guys.

I think I'll have a chat with the BCO to have their view and then take it from there :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back