second line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At work we have two lines - same number - and a PBX with 5 extensions.

I had two calls the other day from a guy dialling the wrong number. On the second attempt, i asked him what number he'd dialled (twice). It was not the number I know our lines to be. It ended 20, our number ends 01, the rest was the same.

My question is, where there are two lines accessed from the same number, does one line have a "hidden" unique number? Caller ID on phones dialled always shows the number we know. Will the second line have a hidden number that can actually be dialled?

Sponsored Links
can you take 2 incoming calls at the same time?

we have sites set up with 2 lines, but only one number is advertised, they can make 2 outgoing calls but only one incoming as one line is kept for out going, if that makes sence lol

i guess you don't have access to the bill?

Each individual line has a unique number associated with it to identify it within the network, but can also been set up as an auxilliary line, which accepts calls made to another 'main' number and uses that number as it's caller ID.

In the old days of clockwork exchanges, the numbers for a group of lines needed to be consecutive, and caller ID was unheard of. These days, with electronic exchanges, virtually any two numbers can have that association.

The 'real' phone number of the line is really only of interest to identify one particular line in a group to network engineers.

Sponsored Links
hi steve i think your talking about "feature lines" this comes with a number for billing purposes, ignore this , then a pbx number, the same for all your lines and then a ddi number "direct dialing in" which is a direct number to a specific line , so if say bill has a pbx line with a main hunt group number it can also have its own direct line in so bills customers can ring him direct................

The fact he says he has two lines and a PBX with 5 extensions says to me he doesn't have crappy featurelines, but a standard PBX.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back