ford modeo 2004 starter motor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
over last few weeks when starting car have had screeching sound 1 to 2 times before the engine starts. This happened today about 4 times so I went to a local garage who without looking at car said I need a new flywheel, starter motor and clutch fitting at a cost of about £800.00. The question is does this sound reasonable? I know nothing about cars so just wanted any advice that people may be kind enough to share?

Sponsored Links
a common problem im afraid, if you google mondeo dual mass flywheel problem you will be able to see for yourself.
you may be able to clean out the starter motor of the metal particles and give yourself another few months but it will only happen again.
£800 doesnt seem to bad for a flywheel, clutch, starter and labour.

Sponsored Links
Will do I know a couple of garages that are meant to have a good reputation locally so will have them look at it first, cheers!

Its worth removing the starter motor and blowing away the accumulated clutch dust first......the starter gear and shaft is meant to be used mainly dry but a light spray of Duck Oil works wonders.
John :)

Sounds like the flywheel has missing teeth, but no need for a new starter motor or clutch! So take off about 3-400 for fitting a clutch.

You could live with it, and if the starter doesn't catch, push the car in gear, to get it started!

Or it could be the clutch in the starter motor missing? Good money after bad, as a poster already stated it's a common problem.

As it's a Mondeo, 2004, best advice is to shove it off a very large cliff, burning it just leaves a mess. The cost of repair outweighs the cars worth.

Back