extending cables to fuseboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a 2 way RCD c/unit to the main supply via Henley block as client having new kitchen and sockets around the house. No space to change existing c/u. Put new c/u in space about 3/4 metre from old but existing cables not long enough to reach. Extended with 40amp connection blocks and put behind wooden board supporting suppliers meter, etc. Compliant?
Also had to put a junction box on wall in utility room. Client told me he intended to box over this section. Compliant?
Lastly, moved cooker point in kitchen and client having a gas hob with electric oven. New outlet accessories fitted. Can I connect a fused conn unit to the cooker outlet connection point to power the gas hob ignition via 2.5mm T&E? Original cable is 6mm. Have got a 40A MCB in new RCD c/u. Hob to be protected with 3amp fuse in FCU.

Many thanks in advance for any help. I am a newly qual electrician and could not find the relevant regs.

Sponsored Links
Putting cables into connector blocks and poking them out of sight is not compliant. they need to be in a prescribed enclosure and if the cable is just floating about behind a board that enclosure will require cable restraint. Perhaps if you can post a picture of this it would be better to comment?

What type of junction box is on the wall, how does the client plan on bixing it in??

If you are down fusing to a 3 amp fuse, why are you selecting 2.5mm cable??

I'm guessing that what we'll find here is the discrepancy between "electrician" and "EAL DI qualification".....

Sponsored Links
Putting cables into connector blocks and poking them out of sight is not compliant. they need to be in a prescribed enclosure and if the cable is just floating about behind a board that enclosure will require cable restraint. Perhaps if you can post a picture of this it would be better to comment?

What type of junction box is on the wall, how does the client plan on bixing it in??

If you are down fusing to a 3 amp fuse, why are you selecting 2.5mm cable??
1) what would be described as a prescribed enclosure. Client didn't want junction boxes on display
2) 30amp 3 terminal junction box. Batten and board
3) In case fuse rating to a new/different appliance needed updating at any time

what would be described as a prescribed enclosure.
Anything sold as such, but you would need to fix it to the wall, and clip the cables, to avoid putting a strain on them. And it must remain accessible.

Client didn't want junction boxes on display
This is the where his meter is - how "on display" could it be?

And why didn't you crimp the extensions?

30amp 3 terminal junction box. Batten and board
Needs to remain accessible.

In case fuse rating to a new/different appliance needed updating at any time
What's the installation method of the cable, and what size would you need to give you an Iz of 13A?

what would be described as a prescribed enclosure.
Anything sold as such, but you would need to fix it to the wall, and clip the cables, to avoid putting a strain on them. And it must remain accessible.

Client didn't want junction boxes on display
This is the where his meter is - how "on display" could it be?

And why didn't you crimp the extensions?

30amp 3 terminal junction box. Batten and board
Needs to remain accessible.

In case fuse rating to a new/different appliance needed updating at any time
What's the installation method of the cable, and what size would you need to give you an Iz of 13A?

I concur that junction boxes need to remain accesible but not necesarily visible, eg some are in ceilings or under floorboards. If the batten board area has an "access point" then could this suffice? Was going to crimp but thought conn blocks better.

Above a ceiling or under a floor does NOT count as accesible, and junction boxes must not be fitted there.

What happened to traditional apprenticeships where people actually learnt something?

Above a ceiling or under a floor does NOT count as accesible, and junction boxes must not be fitted there.
So many different opinions. If the JB cannot be accessed by lifting a board or access panel then could the joint be crimped? What if the JB was to be used to expand the circuit, ie adding another circuit? Can crimping be used to join 3 cables?

I dont know of any of the experienced or knowledgable advisors on here which would agree with you that a junction box under a floor board is permitted by the regs. what if laminate gets fitted of tiles, that JB is lost forever. Thats irrelevent as the junction box is not visible, not accessable and there is no way of knowing where it is. What scheme did you do your course with? Perhaps you could get in touch with them and see if they are willing to train you properly, as for someone who is doing domestic work, this is a big mistake commonly made by DIYers, not qualified sparks.

There are countless threads on here about what methods can and cant be used under floorboards, check the search option out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back