Need some advice on neighbour’s boiler installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would just like to say hi to everyone as this is my first post

My next door neighbour has decided to move out of the area so there house is up for sale. In the process of improving their house for the sale they have replaced there old boiler which broke sometime last year.

There house is a semi with a garage extension on the side which is right on the boarder and runs along our driveway. There old boiler was fitted in their garage and there boilers flue used to exit in our driveway.

Now they have had the new boiler fitted in the same place and again there flue exits in our driveway but to stop the fumes coming out in our driveway they have fitted this awful bit of black pipe that directs the flue upwards about 3 foot and then back over their garage roof.

But now when the boiler is running and there is a bit of wind the fumes/steam exiting the pipe now blows towards my bathroom window.

So my questions are

1. Is this legal?

2. Don’t they need to ask if I mind that they bring the flue out in my driveway even though the old one exited there

3. Can I ask for the Flue/boiler to be moved?

No doubt I will think of some more questions but as you can imagine i am in a bit of a hurry as I don’t want them selling the house before we get this sorted

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
The awful black pipe is a plume diversion kit to prevent dischrage of fumes being a nuisance. If it crosses the border you could insist they move it but why not try to see if they could get it adjusted so the fumes blow in a different direction first.

C'mon Dave what happened to 'live and let live'. Britain used to be a friendly place to live! Now people are moaning about a wee bit of steam on their Bathroom window!

Sponsored Links
Ultimately the flue should not be on your property ? is it ? as for pluming drifting onto adjoining or neighbouring property , in many instances it would be virtually impossible to do any thing about it ?? & remember you may well be in the same situation in years to come if & when your boiler is renewed !!

... and a plume kit should be pointing away from the same wall in the same direction as the air intake. They are not intended to go around corners or over eaves.

All that can be seen in the plume is a bit of vapour.

Of course your bathroom window will be frosted glass Dave, so I'm not sure how you can see it steaming up anyway??

But hey, an Engerlanders home is his Castle.......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back