Phone Extensions and Cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to change the phone extension cabling in my flat and have got a few queries. (I'm no expert, so please forgive the poor terminology!) From my master socket, I currently have a 'proper' extension going to one socket, and a 'plug-in' extension going to another.

1. Can you have more than one 'proper' extension from a master socket? If I could change the 'plug-in' extension to a 'proper' extension, that would look tidier.

Failing that...

The 'plug-in' extension I'm currently using has that awful 'flat' cabling. It sounded a good idea from the packaging when I bought it but in reality, it doesn't lay flat, is full of kinks, and generally just looks messy. I'd like to change it to the 'round' cable as I think that looks tidier (if a little fatter). So...

2. Can you still get 'round' cabling as part of a plug-in extension? Does it have a special name? It is hard to tell from the tiny pictures on websites whether it is flat or round.

And finally...

3. Where is the best place to buy phone cabling? I looked at B&Q but they seem a bit pricey. Any suggestions? Preferably a 'high street' store rather than online, as I'm hoping to do it this weekend.

Many thanks for your assistance!

Sponsored Links
If you have a Linebox / NTE then the e
insulation displacement connectors on the back of the removable front portion will take 2 conductors each.

BT standard CW1308 cable can be got from Maplins or most electrical places. Possibly even B&Q. There is a lot of substandard stuff around which isn't thick enought to connect to the IDC properly.

If you have a Linebox / NTE then the e
insulation displacement connectors on the back of the removable front portion will take 2 conductors each.

Does that mean it will take 2 conductors happily? Or is it a bit of a kludge to do it this way?

Further to my previous questions, if I decide to create a proper extension (as opposed to a plug-in kit), what will I need?

Cable (CW1308)
Slave socket (I'm tempted to get one with ADSL filter built in)
Cable clips

Cable stripper?
IPC Insertion tool?

for the best adsl connection you really want a filtered faceplate on the master like so

adsl-nteface-mid.gif

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back