How close can I site new combi boiler flue to existing flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my first post, I would be grateful for help with this question: How close can I locate a new combi boiler flue (up on the roof) to an existing flue which may be used for a wood-burner?

Some information: I have an ancient gas-fired central heating boiler on a ground floor which was flooded in the extreme flood event in west cumbria last year. As part of the rebuild work I am having installed a modern combi boiler which will be sited in a first floor airing cupboard.

I am also intending to replace the old boiler with a wood burning boiler stove and so have two independent central heating systems. This will utilise existing flue and hot water tank system, which the combi boiler will not require.

So the new combi boiler flue on the roof will emerge close to the existing flue. Are there any regulations in this regard ?Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your gas registered installer should be advising you on the necessary clearances.

The boilers instructions will also give some information but I dont want to encourage you to be doing gas work yourself.

If the nearest parts of both flues are more than 1200mm then there is unlikely to be any problem BUT thats only a generality and the actual situation needs to be checked by a qualified person.

Tony

Thanks for the response, yes my new combi boiler is being installed by a corgi registered engineer. However he wasn't sure about the exact clearance required, so I am looking for the appropriate regulation or guidance myself. If not now, for in the near future if I am in a position to have two systems running at once. You think 1200mm cleaance is appropriate then? Thanks again.

Check your RGI's Registration, he should be able to source this kind of info himself from the manufacturer :confused:

Sponsored Links
advice early on get a new RGI!! you have had a lucky escape...

be warned!!!!!!!!!

Which ever boiler is chosen all information about flueing and clearences are inside the "Manufacturers installation and servicing instructions" The RGI will be installing the boiler to these specifications so he wont have problem finding the exact clearences

Why this requires a warning about finding another RGI is beyond me!

There are people on this forum who think they know everything and yet their ignorance is always found out

Thanks for the response, yes my new combi boiler is being installed by a corgi registered engineer. However he wasn't sure about the exact clearance required.

I do have to say that its a slightly odd reply for a CORGI to give.

Whilst there is no apparent need to "change him" it would be prudent if you independently check his registration with his registration body.

Tony

There are still some manufacturers who do not make that measurement very clear and so the guy is not a fool because he has not got measurement off the top of his head some ask for 500mm some 600mm others are different, others ask whether its a fan flued terminal or an open flued one its adjacent to .And what the structure is made off

Would the instructions for the wood burner change what the gas boilers ask for.

For those rgi who are used to reading MI`s have a look at worcester 37cdi instructions on worcester site and tell me the distance in this instance and how quickly you found it.

WB diagram does not specify distance to other flue on roof, so call to the tech help.
Total time ~4 minutes.
Better alternative complying with adequate CYA guidelines is to do the same by email; call it 6 minutes.

Exactly its not in the MI`s .
So if the boiler the cust is after is the same what has the guy done wrong by saying he will find out the distance .
You have not got a clue what time the guy was at the customer or how busy the guy was .
Where the tech lines open did they even have a clue themselves ,would not be the first time
As you all seem to know phoning some tech help lines can have you on the phone for hours.

So i ask again why is the guy a fool and what has he done wrong

my new combi boiler is being installed by a corgi registered engineer. However he wasn't sure about the exact clearance required, so I am looking for the appropriate regulation or guidance myself.

Thanks again.

He said "he was not sure".

Any competent gas engineer would tell the customer that he would find out and advise him.

Not leave the customer thinking that he had employed a fool who could not be bothered to take ownership of the job.

Of course from some of what he may have heard of his customer's proposals for fitting wood stoves, the registered installer may have decided its better to step back and not get involved in a possible impending disaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back