Can I have two sources of hot water connected to same line?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone see anything wrong with this idea please? Could i connect the hot water supply from a modern combi boiler, and the hot water supply from a traditional gravity fed hot water tank (two independent haeating systems), through an appopriate two-way valve, and so be able to switch between hot supplies? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could manually do that by closing one and opening the other being careful not to have both open together.

Does not exactly comply with Water regulations.

The hot supply will be low pressure and mains pressure depending on which one is open so showers etc will not work well in one of the positions.

Most will say its not a very good idea. Wait until the wife or kids get it wrong and cause problems!

Tony

If your concern is to have a backup system (ie a cylinder of water heated by an immersion heater) available if (when) the combi fails, why not use an instantaneous electric shower fed from the mains cold supply.

If it's because a combi does not deliver sufficient hot water for your needs, then the question is whether a combi is really the right choice for you and your household.

If you wish to take advantage of multiple heat sources, then maybe set up your two supplies with , say, the kitchen fed by the combi, main bathroom from cylinder, second bathroom from combi etc. etc.

As Tony said, the two systems operate at entirely different water pressures, so operating any mixers will be problematic at best, and possibly downright dangerous (Images of the combi backfeeding mains pressure hot water into cylinder, which may burst, or the hot water ends up in the cold storage tank, which overheats and collapses)

Sponsored Links
Tickly, he has a wood burner which he wants to use for hot water during the winter!

The simple answer is that it will work ( with some probvlems ) but is not a very good idea.

He says he has a CORGI engineer installing the combi, hopefully he will be able to give him on site advice. We are a little concerned because he seems rather vague about flue clearance distances.

Tony

He says he has a CORGI engineer installing the combi, hopefully he will be able to give him on site advice. We are a little concerned because he seems rather vague about flue clearance distances.

which has exactly jack to do with this thread :eek:

Thanks for the advice, all advice taken and appreciated. Though I never did intend to physically connect a combi output into a hot water tank as has been assumed, please give me a little credit. The idea was to find a way to switch between the two outputs, as stated in my original thread, not having both feeding at the same time. I imagined something like a non-return valve (one way) on the tank output, an non-return valve on the combi output, both connected to a switchable valve. There must be many households that have more than one heating system?

I live in an old, cold, damp house in an area where wood fuel is on my doorstep and is free. However I also acknowledge the convenience of having a combi boiler (and LPG is not cheap) and am in a situation where I can potentially have both heating systems. I guess I am the type of person who looks for viable, safe, compliant and well considered solutions (hence this thread), not problems.

Thanks again.

This valve can switch between two outlets.
http://www.intaeco.co.uk/resources/solar/intasol_installer.pdf

It's designed for solar/combi boiler integration. The valve though won't know whether the water is pre heated by solar energy or solid fuel.
You would need a HW coil in a thermal store to supply the valve.
Your combi needs to be capable of accepting 28c pre heated water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back