Back boiler with radiators off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use my fire with a back boiler whilst my radiators are disconnected?

I have a back boiler attached to my Parkray. I have no controls for it as I'm currently rewiring my house. I also have taken all the radiators off the walls as I eventually need to replaster them. Is it possible to set my fire going with or will it affect the central heating system?

Many thanks.

Dust.

Sponsored Links
So are you asking if you can run a solid fuel boiler with no water in it ??

Thats a good question. I'm not sure to be honest. I have capped some radiators & the others have got TRV's on them and I have water coming out of my taps. Does this mean that I have no water in my central heating system? How do I check this?

You have an indirect system ?? eg you have a feed & exp tank in the loft ?as well as a cold water tank ???

which would mean that water coming out of the tap is irrelavent ? how did you cap of the radiators you must have drained it ?

Or you have a primatic hot water cylinder ??

not my buissness by why do you want to light a fire is it cold in Manchester ??

Sponsored Links
It is an indirect system. I have a cylinder then on a shelf on top is a large & small water tank. Both tanks have water in.

I had a pipe fitter come out & cap the rads & do the TRV's. I drained the system myself from the stop-tap in my cellar. I turned the tap off & then drained it with a hose. I then proceeded to take the rads off myself.

Im in the peak district & very exposed to the elements. I was wondering as to whether I need to put the old rads back on before I start it up or if i have time to save up & buy new rads. Just trying to save costs with getting the plumber to do it & balance the system etc.

As with any backboiler problem: get a pro to look at it, these things can be lethal if treated the wrong way.

There is nothing wrong with the backboiler. Its a very new system. However I am changing the layout of the stat & putting in a programmer & I have moved the cylinder (as you have refered me to on other thread!).

I just want to know if I can start my solid fuel fire up with my rads off?

When you drained it you turned off the main stop cock . yes

I asume that your hot water cylinder is heated via gravity circulation ?
& the radiators are on a pumped circuit ??( pump off) although there is generally one rad bathroom ?? that is on the gravity circuit , which you might be advised to reconnect ! but

providing your boiler is full of water , & the fact that your exp tank is full indicates this ? & you have somewhere for the heated water to circulate than you can use it

Just had a re-cap re-think , un- controled heat source solid fuel , diyer , 1 litre of water can produce 1600 litres of steam , i am a bit worried about my advice , telling you to light the boiler , no reason but I am not there , get the plumber fella back .

or I won't sleep tonight , head lines man dies in massive steam explosion , after getting advice off of some forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drained it from the main stopcock yes.

Apparantly it is heated by gravity. The pump is roughly below the backboiler but I have no way of switching that on at the moment. Is this an issue?

There is a rad in the bathroom. Again this is disconnected. Should I replace that one then before starting a fire?

Will the water still circulate if I have no rads connected? Do the radiators complete the loop/circuit or does the water come up the pipes to the TRVs & then go back & follow the system around via another route? Or is it the rads themselves that complete the loop?

Thanks for all your help Transam.

Please !!! read my last post & Please take note of what I have said !

Thanks !

@Transam - No problem.

@Ben - I had it up and running when I bought the house & there was no problems with it then. The old lady I bought it off had it running 24/7 constantly over the winter & we had some pretty severe weather up here over that time. I have not had it on over the summer though so far.

It was producing heat. That means it is working.
It does NOT automatically mean it is working SAFELY, as the shoolboy that died from CO poisoning yesterday found out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back