Door lining problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I hope someone can help.

I am in the process of doing up my house up, ceilings down, walls stripped back to stud work.

Been away for 3 weeks, when I was away the brother in law (joiner by trade) came in to fit door linings and hang the doors (8 in total) Came to make a start plaster boarding this morning and have come across a major problem. The plasterboard sit proud of the door linings.

Stud walls are made from 3x2, door linings which he made are 95mm wide. Using 12mm SE plasterboard, so that 99mm for stud wall and plaster board but no skim.

He done the this a favour so I don't feel i can go back to him moaning about it. I am hoping there is an easy solution to fix this.

Any idea of how to fix this would be great.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome diyguy10 :D :D :D

your choices are
re do with cls 38x65[not an option just to let you know what timber matches those linings]

9mm plasterboard from the last stud skim tapering to o.5-1mm

add 6mm to the frame both sides

plasterboard and thin skim under archatraves are stopping short off the frame then rebating out the the back off the archatrives

mdf can be bought in 3-4-6mm this would be ideal to add to the frame if your painting
paint with primer and add before skimming and skim up to

Many thanks "big-all" for your suggestions. Think I am going to use a few of your suggestions. 3 doors gonna redo the stud wall with 38x65. the remaining 5 doors gonna add timber to either side then skim.

Once again thanks for your help

there is another to add but realy a last option as it weakens the plasterboard and thats to score the back surface off the platerboard and remove some material where it touches the studs and insert battons to support the back edges1-2mm farther back than you need and use a good bead off no nails the full area to support

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back