conservatory wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it ok to extend my ring main from exsisting wall double socket,put 3-4 more sockets and then spur off and put a 5 amp fuse box and then add lighting off that circuit. think its ok just need some advice

Sponsored Links
How do you plan to extend the ring from one socket? Will you be able to replace the existing cable going to the next socket, or are you planning to join the cables somehow?

Assuming that's not an issue, then provided the floor area served by the ring does not exceed 100m², and provided you aren't adding sockets in what Part P of the building regulations defines as a special location, and provided you test the circuit afterwards, then it will be OK.

do it like this
RingMainExtension.jpg

except make one of the sockets the switch fuse that controls the lights.
Make sure cabling follows lines of least surprise (see reference section for permitted routes), or use conduit or armourclad if you really cant.
Come back if this makes no sense.

when i do conservtorys i run my new ring around the conservatory with a switched fused spur in the circuit for the light/fanlight switch with a 3amp fuse in it. Then the 2 ends of this ring i put into the back of socket on the existing ring you want to extend. I leave one end of the existing ringmain and add one end of the new ringmain into the socket screw teminals then the 2 legs left i join with crimps and put heatshrink over them and leave them in the back of the socket box. Have only done this on double sockets so not sure if there would be enough room in a single socket backbox.

Just make sure you use a decent pair of rachet crimpers and not those cheap nasty things like plyers

Sponsored Links
Ask yourself what your using it for. Electric heaters ? a no no. Lighting and low powered objects should be fine, but recommend you put everything used on the circuit you intend to use the clamp it to see how much power your drawing. Then decide

thanks guys thats a great help i notice one of you chaps said not to run electric heater off this idea i am looking to put a heater in how should i wire that in to.

Once again depends on loads already drawn and expected loads required. What sort of heater and rating are you proposing.

For almost all loads follow the scheme in the figure I posted, and loop into the house ring. Good for most situations. (Or if you really want to push the boat out then run a dedicated 30A 4mm radial from a new way in the fuseboard.)
For less than 13A total ever, put the whole conservatory on a fused spur.
Just add up the wattages of what you think want all on at once, and you will be able to see what you need to wire up..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back