Hotpoint wd420 Dryer stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking on the net i see this is a common problem with this machine, however i cannot find a thermostat trip switch or sure where the filters are if anyone has any advice on this please post :)

Sponsored Links
filter is at the back remove rear white panel its a big black cup . no themo cutout whats the fault with the heating .

filter is at the back remove rear white panel its a big black cup . no themo cutout whats the fault with the heating .

The drying program still runs but the heater does not work. I read that it is a common problem due to the filter being blocked and this trips the thermostat.

Check the heater is working first it's on the heater box.

Sponsored Links
u can try and touch it if you got a death wish, ;) heater should read 30 ohms on a meter if its working.

heater is the two brass round nuts on the heater box with a blue wire and pink one attacted to it.remove the two wires off the heater and test .filter is as pic a big black cup looking thing with a fat jubilee clip round it if the mc emptys ok that will not cause it to not heat ,the heater you got on that mc go all the time also check the themal fuse its the pink wire with a yellow cover round it test with a continuity tester.

heater is the two brass round nuts on the heater box with a blue wire and pink one attacted to it.remove the two wires off the heater and test .filter is as pic a big black cup looking thing with a fat jubilee clip round it if the mc emptys ok that will not cause it to not heat ,the heater you got on that mc go all the time also check the themal fuse its the pink wire with a yellow cover round it test with a continuity tester.

There is no resistance between the two connectors on the heater does this mean it is duff? ifso is this possible to change myself and where would i get the part please rocks?

* the fuses buzzes out fine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOTPOINT-Washer-Dryer-WD-Heater-ELEMENT-Genuine-Spares-/370337145162?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Washing_Machines_Dryers_Parts_Accessories_ET EASY TO REPLACE UNDO NUTS, 6 BOLTS ON HEATER BOX, THEN 8 BOLTS TO SPLIT HEATER BOX .

Thanks rocks1, you have been a huge help. :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
One last question if i may, is the dryer heater the same heater that heats the water for a normal wash? if so i have been washing with cold water! :rolleyes:

no its a diffent heater ,found at the back next to the filter.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOTPOINT-Washer-Dryer-WD-Heater-ELEMENT-Genuine-Spares-/370337145162?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Washing_Machines_Dryers_Parts_Accessories_ET EASY TO REPLACE UNDO NUTS, 6 BOLTS ON HEATER BOX, THEN 8 BOLTS TO SPLIT HEATER BOX .

The part arrived today(left under door mat) :rolleyes:
Security bits are needed, which i have and from start to finish it took 30mins to replace. Total cost £17 :) Once again thanks for the help.:cool:

Anyone know how much this job would of cost if i had had an engineer call?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back