Fitting a 2 pipe oil system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently fitting a new oil fired boiler in my house. I am not Oftec registered but the engineer who services our boilers has agreed for me to fit it and he will then check it and sign it off for me(hope that's legal).
He has advised me to fit a 2 pipe oil system as the burner on my Worcester boiler is situated quite high up on the boiler.
Can the return oil pipe run underground beside the supply line and does it re-enter the tank through the top?
The supply pipe seems to have a rubber outer covering on it(old original pipe) so should the return pipe be the same type?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
If your engineer is OFTEC Registered, He should know that 2 pipe oil supplies are no longer recommended, as there is a higher than normal risk of pollution should the return line start leaking underground undetected, it would quickly empty the oil tank!!

He should have recommended a "Tiger Loop type system, which uses a single suction line from the oil tank, to a Deaeration device, from which a short two pipe loop is connected to the burner, the tiger loop should be placed externally but as close to the burner as possible ;)

Check your guy is OFTEC registered to fit boilers and not just services them: you need NO OFTEC qualifications to service boilers, but you do to install or commission.

Tiger Loop is the way to go definately if fitted outside, or a Gok if fitted inside.

Blimey that was quick.
Thanks very much.
He is registered for fitting boilers as he did my neighbours.
Tiger loop sounds much less work which is always good. Where do I get one as I looked on BES but not listed under Tiger or loop.
Is it a kit or a collection of parts?
Once again, Big thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back