multicar insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone got any experience of this method of insuring two cars in the same household? Ive had a really competitive quote from admiral and wondered if there are any limitations to insuring it this way rather than doing each car individually?

I am 27 with a ford fiesta zetec 1.4 TDCI 58 plate, and he is 30 with a ford ka 1.3 53 plate. Both had licences for atleast 7 years with no accidents/disqualifications etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
whats the price diffference?

surely the only way to know is to check the t+c's of the policy. i've always shied away from multicar because they are likely to exclude most of my cars.

800 for both as opposed to over a grand
these are just two fairly standard cars and the cover offers coutesy car cover, legal cover and a reasonably low excess

I got very good quotes from 'Confused.com' for both our cars with an insurance each, I doubt that I could better it with a two car insurance.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I tried this with admiral and found it was more expensive..insured my one with churchill and my daughters one is with sheilas wheels ....difference of about £130

same experience as Bodgeit here Admiral multicar was over £200 more than insuring seperately.

using Hastings this year(£256) as Budget (last years insurer) wanted £406 to insure the same car that they insured for £250 last year despite having 7 years protected no claims.

shop around and don't stay with the same insurer as you will pay more if you do.

Chris Knott are an independent broker that seem to be able to offer really good deals. For me they were better than all the price comparison sites and Direct Line, Churchill etc - £335 when closest comparible cover was £380

The thing to watch out with the Meerkat type people is they usually give quotes for massive excessess, the price goes up when you reduce it.

My tip is to use a comparision site, make a note of the cheapest providers - register with quidco (cashback site) and get the fee that the comparison site would pocket for yourself. For example if you link to Aviva through quidco and take out a policy then you would get £30 cashback. See Martin Lewis - Money Saving Expert for more details on cashback websites.

Just changed my cover to Admiral multi-car as they matched my current cost and gave my wife full no claims on the new policy when she previously had none and was just a named driver on my vehicles.That's on a 1.8 Volvo V40 and a 2lt Ford Mondeo 20v protected no claims on both. Every families quote is different so you have to compare it only with other quotes you have , an insurance company may be expensive to hundreds of people but cheaper for your circumstances.I'm sure I will get a cheaper quote next year when I will move insurer again as I do every year with all my insurances.Also worth checking out cashback sites for extra money off. Got my house and contents last year combined for £85 using comparison sites and cashback site.Purchased contents insurance for my sister for £30 using the same method when her renewal was asking £400.

I had a 'multi-car' insurance a year or so ago 'cos I was running 2 cars at the time.
It was more like a fleet-car insurance but worked out less than the cost of 2 individual insurance policies. I said I needed it 'cos I was repairing cars for friends & families and therefore driving different cars.

Basically it was an insurance policy that covered me to drive any car, (there were no vehicle details on the policy and it was obvious that I could only ever drive one car at a time). I had to go onto the Motor Insurance database to register each and every car that was in my care to show that it was covered, and de-register it when I was no longer in control of it. I could have more than one car covered at any time though. The policy allowed me to add additional drivers also, at extra cost, of course. But then it didn't become cost-effective against 2 individual policies. So it may not suit your purpose.

There was no milage limitations and European cover was included.

Problem is, I can't remember the name of the insurance company or broker and I don't have the records with me now.

I may be able to look it up in a few days and will post details then.

sounds more like a traders policy. was there a financial limit on what you could drive?

I don't recall any financial limits to what I could drive.
There was an excess on the windscreen cover 'cos I remember paying it, something like £50, I think.
There may have been others but can't remember now.

shop around and don't stay with the same insurer as you will pay more if you do.

now I disagree with this, yes dont take their first offer on renewal, I was on the phone (freephone, so their cost) to kwik fit insurance, and they bent over backwards to meet my cheapest price on confused, which was £350 cheaper than their renewal. didnt get it quite as cheap (but damn near) and got a couple of "extras" thrown in.

I didn't have to haggle or anything, just told them to cancel when they gave me a new renewal quote that was still high, they have a "retentions dept"

now I disagree with this, yes dont take their first offer on renewal, I was on the phone (freephone, so their cost) to kwik fit insurance, and they bent over backwards to meet my cheapest price on confused, which was £350 cheaper than their renewal. didnt get it quite as cheap (but damn near) and got a couple of "extras" thrown in.

I didn't have to haggle or anything, just told them to cancel when they gave me a new renewal quote that was still high, they have a "retentions dept"

always worth having a look though.

the renewal price is only higher because most people are too stupid to haggle or even notice. then the broker gets a fat bonus on top of the premium.

all of these websites that want you to enter your best offer to date are a con anyway. i usually put £1 in as it keeps them guessing.

Sponsored Links
Back