Running water, overflow and leaks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. My first post so thanks for your help.

We moved into a new flat a couple of weeks ago and have a few issues.

There is an old gas boiler and, we think, a storage cylinder and maybe tank?. The trouble is that the cylinder and tank are boarded up behind a tiled wall which is very difficult to get into but I can peek through a bit of board I snapped back.

The main water pipe is by the front door which we can hear running all the time. In addition to the running water from the main pipe, we can hear it running into the cylinder and/or tank and outside there is a constant trickle of water from the overflow and, every now and again, a "flush" of water coming through the overflow.

From earlier posts it seems like a simple ball cock or valve fault which would be fine (we will be getting the whole system ripped out in a few weeks anyhow) but there is also some water getting into our flat as the wooden flooring is rising up.

The cylinder and tank are not close to the place where there is the floor buckling so we are worried there may be another leak.

I looked at the toilet cistern which is against the wall by the floor and that was overflowing which I fixed by tightening the ball cock screw. To make matters more complicated there is a waste pipe running through the bathroom from the flats above (it is a converted 1880s mansion block) which is also boxed in so could be the source of the leak.

Is the leak coming from the cylinder or tank overflow (i.e. after overflowing for so long the pipe might be leaking) and that it is running under the flooring?

Or is it likely to have been the toilet cistern (also boxed in but it looks like it is quite damp underneath it) and now it could be fixed. Any thoughts?

We also have some cockroaches which is lovely! I can't wait to get the boiler out and a combi in and a nicely sealed bathroom!

Sponsored Links
Maybe you have a faulty float valve in your F+E tank, washer may have split or something, or maybe the water level is set too high?

If it is all being ripped out soon anyway, then why not just take the tiled board off now and have a look, it's the only way you will know.

Same with the toilet cistern, you will just have to get in there and take things apart to find out, without a definated visible leak from your toilet, who knows?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Thanks Jonh506. I guess that is the only solution.

We don't have too many tools for the job and the tiled wall also slots into the shower but I shall have a crack at it.

The good news is that the "leak" does not seem to be getting worse so hopefully it was just a leaky overflow from the toilet cistern.

Can't wait for the plumber to get started now. It is a project (so we keep telling ourselves) and hopefully one day we can afford a nice pad without any leaks!

Sponsored Links
a big hammer is all you need.

A bolster or prybar will help though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back