Replacing lead main - do you have to pay the water company?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I read on the forum once here that if you laid down all the new MDPE pipe yourself on your building the water company had to connect it up to their supply got free as it is replacing the lead, but the water company say I need to make an application and the application itself is almost a grand! Is that true, you can't just lay down the pipe and they have to connect it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
as long as the lead pipe is still there, they will carry out a lead test and unless very low, will have to replace their bit, and may give a subsidy to help you replace your bit. It will anyway be far easier to connect your bit to their new pipe, and you might be able to persuade the fitters to do it if your trench and new pipe are ready when they come.

Also, see if they have a program or subsidy to replace leaking supply pipes.
Maybe yours has a leak in it.

I recently had to replace a leaking lead pipe, but they did not test the water for lead until after I had finished, due to long appointmenting process. They would have charged me £500 to connect my new pipe to their meter, so I just joined it onto the stub coming through the boundary. Luckily their meter had a stop cock on it under the pavement.

p.s. there was a report on this in "Which" recently. The different water companies vary a lot. Thames Water is one of the worst.

My water company said they will send a trench inspector to check it's all kosha, gave a bit of advice on the regs and what to do with footings and said they would connect for free so long as I took my end to the property boundary and they would then replace their lead too.

Also, see if they have a program or subsidy to replace leaking supply pipes.
Maybe yours has a leak in it.

I had a problem with a malfunctioning stop-cock not long ago and when they hacked up the road there was a great deal of laughter, water contractors were around my area for the next couple of days making holes at different points in the road and pavement and changing things so I'm going to assume there was a problem and they already fixed it.

but if they offer a subsidy, maybe you will find a leak on your bit?

but if they offer a subsidy, maybe you will find a leak on your bit?

They've already offered to do the connection for free if the OP digs the trench and lays the pipe.

I'm unmetered so it's not a big problem if there is... I will ask them about it though.

I wouldn't pay anything to fix the supply pipe myself when I don't pay for water consumption.

I'm a low consumption user too, the only reason I haven't got a meter is because it lowers the property value.

Why would you do that :confused:

Just dig a 750mm deep trench and get the pipe laid in on sand, and they'll make the connection for free, job done.

As for leaks, they can force you to repair them.

Thames Water offer a £215 subsidy if you replace your own leaking supply pipe

I'm unmetered so it's not a big problem if there is... I will ask them about it though.

I wouldn't pay anything to fix the supply pipe myself when I don't pay for water consumption.

I'm a low consumption user too, the only reason I haven't got a meter is because it lowers the property value.
????
How does a water meter lower the value of the property?

This I have to hear ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Are you guys talking about the supply pipe on MY property? Because I'm fitting a new one so it won't leak. I thought you were saying I should pay to fix holes in the water companies pipes and why should I do that, that's what we pay water rates for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back