Electric Cooker wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of moving the cooker in our kitchen, and I have removed the tiles off the wall to find the cooker wires and I am confused.

The cooker draws its electric from the specific wire, which goes into a seperate fuse patress. I am confused as there is a 2.5mm twin and earth entering fuse patress next to the cooker control unit. I don't understand this, why does the 2.5 mm twin and earth go to the fuse patress?

regards

Matt

Sponsored Links
I have no photos to hand, but the electric cable for the cooker goes into the fuse next to the cooker control unit, however so does 2.5 mm twin and earth, I don't understand it.

Sponsored Links
it shows how much I use them!!

It is a fan assisted oven, we have gas hobs

If it is just an oven they are sometimes able to be wired into the socket circuits so the cabling you see might just be other wiring to do with the circuit (a spur perhaps or the other leg of the ring going somewhere)

right,

It just seemed strange that the cable to the oven is oven cabling (not sure on exact thickness) and 2.5 mm was also going into the fuse. The 2.5 mm comes in from outside in conduit, and it looks ugly, so I was trying to get rid of it. The wire goes into the soffits of the roof, which is incredibly strange! Loks like john wayne may have put it in!

I don't understand this, why does the 2.5 mm twin and earth go to the fuse patress?
Possibly because there's little point in having a cable connected to the supply terminals of an FCU if you don't also have one connected to the load terminals....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back