Land rover discovery 97 model 2.5 diesel auto

• Thread starter Ianthedecorator
  • Start date
I

Ianthedecorator

Just bought the above landrover ,has anybody else on the site got a similar landrover ,any information good or bad welcome .Ian

Sponsored Links
Yeah I had one. It was a complete wreck! Everything went wrong with it. I've just managed to sell it to some Decorator! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do please do not check out landrover on the JDpower customer satisfaction surveys.

Ahhhhhhhhhh think your jealous ! if i could work out how to put a pic on here i could show you how good it is ,but seriously only thing iv found wrong was the stupid alloy chrome valve caps on tyres ,cudnt unscrew them ,so my tyre fitter mate replaced them all with new ones ,a tenner for his time . apart from that its ok . will keep you posted

Take a look at my new profile pic ,im now a landrover !!!!!!!

You bought an automatic. An automatic Land Rover.

You'd best move to America.

It would be a good idea to change the auto transmission fluid, and clean the filter.....if the fluid is brown in colour and has a sour smell then its been in there for ages.
The electrics are poor on these (at the back end), oil leaks are common and they corrode where alloy contacts steel. Timing belts used to throw off and there is a kit to prevent this.
Its a pity that Land Rover didn't take a leaf out of Izuzu's book - the manual Trooper is a good one. Good luck with yours though!
John :)

I run a '95 manual 300tdi. Had it for about 12 years and in that time it's been numerous times around Europe. It's been off-roaded, up ski maintenance trails (in the summer) with 5 people on board and four bikes hanging off the back, plus fully loaded with camping gear. It's pulled over about 60 leylandi trees with the winch. Driven into a flooded ford to tow out another stranded vehicle. Got me home in the icy winter when other vehicles have been stranded (much to the annoyance of the other drivers). Rescued people from the top of a mountain who had misjudged their timing for the descent, in Italy.

It's upto 190,000 miles now and I would guess it's been towing for about half of its life: caravan, trailer with mini-digger/tractor/sand/gravel, other vehicles. So, it's had a hard life.

Sure, things have gone wrong, I had the Zeus timing conversion kit soon after I bought it, so never changed a cambelt on it. (It doesn't have one)

Two headgaskets and one replacement head, so far.
The one head gasket was while towing a Series 3 about 100 miles.
It still got us home (both vehicles) even though it took about 10 hours stopping to let it cool and top up with water.

It's had a couple of 50mm square patches welded on each rear wheel arch a couple of MOTs ago, and the boot floor will need doing some time soon.

It's had a new heater matrix, that was fun, and a new radiator.

But it's still starts every time and runs fine even if it looks like a tired old knacker. Do I care if it gets another 'trolley scar' in the supermarket carpark? I doubt if I even notice it.

Take a look at my new profile pic ,im now a landrover !!!!!!!
Ian, if you upload it to your images we can get a better view of it. Having it as your profile pic means it's quite small!
147000_146792_0_9366.jpg

And lets have a butchers at yours man RedHerring.

Redherring ,your my new best friend ! iv got every confidence in my landrover and yours ,mine has only done 120 k so lots of life left yet .How many other vehicles that are almost 14 years old are still running and in as good a condition ? this saturday my job for the day is to clean the engine and underneath ready to do a full service ,so will bore you all silly with the days events .

i am using this vehicle for about 3 years. Only "major" land rover repairs required - replaced worn out fuel pump and vacuum pump. Simple jobs I did myself, occurred at ~200,000km mark. Changed oil and filter at 10,000 km intervals. Changed engine coolant and had the auto transmission serviced every 40,000km.

And lets have a butchers at yours man RedHerring.

Sorry, guys. I didn't see this post before.
When I've a bit more time I'll look,see if I've got a picture somewhere.
It's still going strong and working hard, about 198,000 now. Not so much recently, 'cos I've also been running a Toyota Supra, but that's up on stands now for a back-end restoration. So the Disco is the only wheels for a while.

Sponsored Links
Back