Flooring Materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...

About half way through a renovation project atm and am looking to replace some floors! I need some advice on what to use please!

Bathroom...
- currently 50 year olf t&g floor boards - which are surprisingly solid
- but we want to tile the floor so what should we use? should we ply on top of the floor boards or replace the floorboards. The floorboards will have to come up to redo the plumbing at some point....

Downstairs Toilet...
- floorboards already gone! (& burnt!)
- what thickness plywood/chipboard should be used? Or should we use something else?

many thanks in advance, Andy

Sponsored Links
ply the bathroom floor prior to tiling, if the floor is solid with little flex 6mm ply will do.
toilet flooring is personal choice on the timber but 18mm ply is suitable. Don't use chipboard though.

If only a few of the bathroom boards are coming up, then put them back after the plumbing's done and cover with 12mm wbp plywood, otherwise replace them all with 25mm plywood. Ply should be screwed at least every 200mm.
If your using vinyl,carpet or laminate in the loo, you could re-use the floorboards from the bathroom, after giving them a couple of flood coats of cuprinol preserver or similar. Might as well do the joists too.

If you are planning on tiling the toilet as well then more plywood instead.

Is there sufficient ventilation under the loo floor?

Prentice and I differ slightly on the advice. We defo agree on the chipboard thing though. C-r-a-p!

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice guys...

Toilet will be carpeted for ease...

So i guess it depends on the plan for the bathroom!

Im tempted to go for the 6mm ply on top... will that be stiff enough if I use flexible tile adhesive?

thanks for the advice guys...

So i guess it depends on the plan for the bathroom!

Im tempted to go for the 6mm ply on top... will that be stiff enough if I use flexible tile adhesive?

I say no. My mate did his kitchen using 6mm overboard then tile, walking round in there is like being at a greek wedding.

fair enough... My only concern is the height of the floor when compared to the height of the floor in the hall which will be carpeted. I really dont like the 'ramp' affect as you go into some tiled bathrooms!

okay, rip the flooring out, plenty of solid noggins and screw down 18mm plywood

plenty of solid noggins and screw down 18mm plywood

cheers that sounds like a good plan! Does anyone else recommend this route? 18mm sounds like it should be strong enough to me. But Ive never done it before...

So Ill get a load of 2x2 and use that for the noggins and a sheet of 18mm DWP

Im not buying the stuff till tomorrow evening so any other poniters would be greatly appreciated! - or other opinions on the best route to take!

cheers all

Think about how you will carry it and transport it. A full-sized sheet of ply will be heavy and unwieldy. You don't mention room sizes.

I don't understand. (Comfort and noise maybe but very bad for hygiene.) If you have the floor out in the toilet, I assume the porcelain is out too. It might be easier to tile the whole toilet floor too before putting back the loo.

My preferance is 22mm Flooring Plywood, this is a WBP ply that comes in 600x2400 sheets and has the same T&G edges as the chipboard which means you don't need to put noggins under the joints.

Bit harder to find than regular ply but a search for "sprucefloor" made by Wisa should turn up a local supplier.

Still need flexi adhesive & grout.

Jason

Does £39 a sheet sound a lot?? cheers all
:eek: Yes! It is a lot. Never buy timber from Wickes/B&Q - it is horrifically expensive and often poor quality! Source from a local timber yard. If you're in Cheshire you may not be a million miles from Berrys £23 +vat for 18mm WBP far eastern - Happy days :cool: .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back