Paint not sticking primed wooden fireplace.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am in the process of decorating our living room.
We have a wooden fieplace which we have sanded and applied two coats of primer leaving a couple of days between coats. After leaving the second coat to dry overnight we started to apply and eggshell finish.

However, the finish seems to be going on rather oily and not sticking. We used the same sand/primer (1 coat)/paint combination on our skirting and picture rails with no problems at at, although both had been previously painted.

I would like to know if anyone has had similar problems and what I might be able to do to resolve. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

cheers

Sponsored Links
did you clean the dust off?

stirred the paint?

was the woodwork formerly varnished, oiled or painted?

oil or water primer and undercoat?

oil or water finish?

what brands?

Thanks for your reply
Surface was wiped down before second coat of primer and before applying finish.

Unsure whether woodwork was formerly varnished or oiled. Definately not painted.

Primer is oil based Johnstones woodprimer.

Finish I had assumed, is oil based, Farrell & Ball Eggshell. However now i'm thinking it could be water based. The tin does not state.

As I mentioned, we used both primer and paint on skirting and picture rails without any problems, although both will require a second coat of finish.

hope this helps.. thanks

Did you ever polish the mantle peice ?? This could have polish residue on it and this will cause it to stay sticky after the paint has been applied.

Sponsored Links
Hi

no we have never polished the mantle piece. We only moved into the house about 6 weeks ago.

Have managed to apply a coat of finish to the fireplace for the time being. It required constantly reapplying the paint. We will need to sand and wipe down the fireplace befor applying the second coat. Is proving to be very time consuming but hopefully will get the finish we are after.

thanks

farrow and Ballocks are now all water based.

Sounds like you are getting "fish eyes". a result of the fact that the primer is still releasing solvents, ie drying

Leave it for a couple of days and it should be ok.

I have had the same happen before

Waterbased over waterbased is ok but waterbased over oil needs a while

if it all goes wrong :cry: rescue it with a coat of Zinsser - the shellac based one ;) that will bond to and isolate all sorts of horrible paints

thanks for the advice folks.

Eventually got there in the end with lots of brush strokes. second coat went on a little easier.

very pleased with the end product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back