update on dimmer wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all still need help with my sons dimmer problem
i followed the advice from ericmark that he kindly posted but i think i must be doing some thing wrong

in the end i tried to put the old two way switches back that my son removed
but i still have no operating wall lights and i have one wire left not connected
i also have no hall and porch lights these must some how be looped into the lounge wall lights i have attached photos of the hall 3 way light switch but the one switch for the landing is still working
hope these will explane better than i can and hope you guys can help
i just wish my son would had made drawing before he removed the old switch
= hall 3 way switch
= lounge 1 way of the 2 way lights
= lounge 2 way lights

Sponsored Links
Starting a new topic really isn't very helpful, as we now have no idea of what was done/tried previously.

At a guess, 1/2/3 will all belong to a single switch. Probably red in com/common, and the remaining blue and yellow in L1 and L2.

The twin red (6/7) will likely belong to another switch and need to go in com and L1.

The single red is probably a switched live to one set of light fittings and should go in L1 of the final remaining switch, with com on the remaining switch being fed via the brown link wire from the same terminal as one of the twin reds. This could be 6 or 7, it depends which one is the permanent live - you'll need a test meter to identify this.

The above assumes that you understand the layout of the switch, i.e. how the sets of three terminals pair up with the switches themselves.

It's very likely my guess wont pay off, but if you've tried everything else then it's worth a go.

EDIT: OK, everything I said above is a load of rubbish, as I didn't realise that the photos are of multiple switches in different positions around the room :oops: In your drawing labelled 'lounge 2 way lights', try putting the remaining red in with the yellow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back