28CDi RSF, Worcester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a complete new system (boiler and radiators) fitted 5 years ago by British Gas, and has performed perfectly since, untill now.
The boiler has started cutting out, and the trip light has a slow flash. Pressing the reset button immediatly cures the problem and all is well. But this is happening every day now, sometimes twice.
The instruction manual tells me that i have a \\\'Burner Lockout\\\', and the flow diagrame assumes that you have some prior knowledge of the system.
So......is this serious, or can i fix it myself, or do i just get a expert (ouch ££), any suggestions please.
I have lots of DIY knowledge, but never with gas, so am VERY wary of messing with boilers.

Sponsored Links
Does this happen in heating or dhw mode? Does it happen when the boiler starts or after a long time? Are there any noises? Do the radiators get fully hot, top and bottom, sides and middle?

The boiler has been serviced by British Gas, this takes about 15 mins and comprises connecting a laptop to it, and £75 thankyou very much.It was last looked at early last year, it has never required any work.
The boiler trips out after a couple of hours, we only notice when the radiators go cold, so i couldn't say exactly when it trips. There are no bangs, strange noises.
Help.

Sponsored Links
forgot to mention,
the radiators are fine, no problems, the setting for the radiators on the boiler panel is/has always been on the next to full setting.....i don't know why, it was like that from installation so we just assummed to leave it there, the hot water setting is on full setting. Thanks

It sounds like overheating. Could be lack of flow or scaling of the heat exchanger. Firstly, turn the heating control back to II or III. Check the ph of the water in the radiators if you can. Electronic test is best but the old litmus will do the job too. Check also if you can that the pump switch is on 3. As for the so called annual service: it sounds like you paid 75 quid every year for a safety check, which is very different from a service. If the boiler has not been opened, it has not been service. Sorry to say but it is as simple as that. This does mean of course that your boiler in fact has never been serviced. It could well be full of gunk inside. Check your contract to see if it says SERVICE or SAFETY CHECK or something similar. Also bleed all the rads and pressurise the system to between 1 and 1.5.

if its the ch light flashing slow its ignition lockout,could be a couple of things,gas valve drooping out,flame sense electrode dirty,not always detecting flame,or it could be a pcb problem,best bet call worcester out £175 includes call out,and up to 3 parts and they will have all parts and know what they are doing.

Thankyou for the help, it would appear from what you've said that the boiler has never been serviced.
Not sure who to contact for this, will have to look in the yellow pages :cry: , or if i contact the boiler manufacturer, would they recommend a plumber perhaps.
Many thanks for all your help.

your best bet would be to ring worcester they have their own service department and their own service enginners,as i said they do a fixed price repair, ;)

I am hoping that a service will put things right. Does it have to be a Corgi registered plumber to do this work.

yes they have to be corgi registered,but I doubt very much a service will solve it,there is obviously a fault as the diagnostics are showing that on your boiler,an ignition lockout fault won't be cured by a service unless the minimum gas is set too low,just take the bull by the horns and get it repaired! :eek:

...well it could just be dirt somewhere important!

I shall make some enquiries tomorrow, thanks to you all for your help, and i shall update this thread as and when the problem is sorted.
Great web-site..

Bloody clever these laptops, they can service or safety check an appliance, does the laptop have to be corgi reg and pass ACS or the person who writes the software have to have these qaulifications, maybe your boiler has the luvtoripuoff 11 virus !!!!!!!!

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
b****y clever these laptops, they can service or safety check an appliance, does the laptop have to be corgi reg and pass ACS or the person who writes the software have to have these qaulifications, maybe your boiler has the luvtoripuoff 11 virus !!!!!!!!

As far as I'm aware although the lap top does not require actual corgi registration all the gas safety regs and procedures are on there in far greater depth than in, say, the corgi handbook. So yes ACS would be a walk in the park. I belive the software is written by a computer engineer, but the information provided by and checked by several paid up corgi engineers....thats what I heard anyway. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back